Can you identify the breeds in this rooster?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
This is my neighbor's rooster. He said he is an Isa Brown, but all the reading of done on the breed says the roosters are white. My neighbor said he purchased him at a livestock auction along with some Isa pullets. He's a great rooster and non-aggressive.

Second generation red sexlink; also known as a standard mixed breed. Isa Browns are a type of red sexlink. They are a specific cross breed that can be sexed by coloring, but only for that first generation crossing. After that, they do not breed true, and offspring are not sexable by color.

that has happened to me to i've been told that this was a red sexlink pullet along with his other brothers from TSC thanks to @junebuggena i would've never known

welcome-byc.gif

Agree, second generation (or more) sex link, so basically barnyard mix.

Thanks all! I am going to take one of his offspring cockrels my neighbor just hatched (bred with an Isa Brown hen) in hopes his temperament is hereditary. The chicks are just a few weeks old now, how long will it be until we can tell a difference in the sexes?

Usually around 6ish weeks you have a pretty good idea who is what. Anyone with a red comb at that point is male.

Back
Top Bottom