Can you identify these eggs?

ND Sue

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
ND
I have 3 SL Wyandottes and 3 Black sex links and the one little red X that lay. I know the small white one is from the little red cross bred hen because I saw her lay it. The others, I never see, but see them in the nesting box, usually 2 or 3 at a time.
I have a smaller dog house in the coop acting as a nesting box and it's working out really well, but they all go in there to lay eggs, so it's hard to know who lays what.

I'm just curious! I get 5 eggs a day. The red hen and one other lay every other day and 4 lay every day... I think!
2 eggs are a darker brown color and more round in shape and 2 are a lighter brown, more oval. Are Wyandottes known for laying a certain color or shape egg?

Here's a pic of the eggs I got today:

100_2452.jpg

Some of the hens and the rooster:

100_2446.jpg

Lil Red, she is one of the originals that was dropped off, so unsure of what she is, but she lays tiny white eggs, 2 so far!:

100_2392-1.jpg

Hi your little red looks almost like a Buckeye chicken. She could be laying the small size because she might have just started laying. Usually when a chicken starts to lay they are small and after molting one time they get larger. As for color of SLW we have 3 hens that were hatched out of same batch of eggs and none of them lay the same color of brown one's shade is light and the others are darker as you go but all 3 have large fat bottomed eggs now that they have been laying for over a year now. I hope I was able to help at least a little on the egg question. Sorry if I just made it worse.

Can't tell you which chickens are laying the brown eggs because it varies more by the individual than by the breed. Even color from one individual will vary depending on how long they've been laying (eggs tend to get lighter as the hen is in lay longer).

Your little red hen isn't a Buckeye, though -- Buckeye's lay brown eggs and have pea combs. She's cute, whatever she is, though.

Kathleen

smile.png
see I wasn't sure if she was a buckeye her color is close to that deep blood red. I thought she was a little off on it, Might be one of the "sex-link" type crossed? I think they lay brown too don't they?

The red girl looks like a red sex-link, or maybe a very dark RIR? Might I suggest putting some food coloring on their vents and then you should get a streak of color on the egg when she lays and you could tell who is laying what. Let us know if it works. I have heard about it but never tried it personally.

Back
Top Bottom