1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you identify this duck (fully feathered/1 year old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shaylee, Mar 13, 2009.

1. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    Of course, I went outside to get the pic and he FLEW over the fence right after I took the pic. First time. I got ahold of him and the scissors. He wont be doing that again until he regrows those flight feathers.

He is smaller than most ducks. Very short in stature. I got him in a surplus mix last year. (his name is Speckles)

Any idea of what he is would be great. His bill is yellow, we have had a lot of rain and he has mud on it. His tail is very curly, figure he is a boy. (no eggs at any rate)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

He might be a call mix.

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i couldn't tell you what he is, but he certainly is handsome!

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
  5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Maybe if people knew what hatchery he came from, they would know what breeds they have that he could be. Dont know, just a thought.

6. shaylee

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    Schlecht's in Iowa. I should probably have e mailed them over the winter, but my son hasnt been well, no time.

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I would say ancona, they are a light duck. I didnt think schlecht had anconas but they may drop ship from another hatchery. yes he is a boy.

8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    can i borrow him??

he'd make pretty babies with my girlies [​IMG]

9. shaylee

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    Hey, if you lived closer I would trade you for the annoying geese.
    (I live in the boonies yet get a lot of peddlers here, peddling avon, religion, magazines, you name it) Maybe geese would keep them away.

He would make pretty babies though. I hope a couple of my new ducklings are girls, or maybe I can find a female or two at Rutledge flea market this year.

He might be an ancona, I did look those up just now, though he has the build of a call duck. (short neck, stout body, etc) I just thought I might find out easily what he is, but if I dont, that will be ok too. He is a sweet little duck and very peaceful in nature.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say a type of call duck as well. I don't think anconas can fly that well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by