Can you incubate eggs that have been sitting at room temp (70-74) for several days?

Tbrad

Chirping
Jul 20, 2022
My daughter has a science fair project and my source of eggs ran out so I need to use mine. Since I wasn't planning on using them they have been sitting on the shelf and I need to use 50 at the very minimum.

Will we have success in hatching these?

I've read people have eggs shipped and eggs outside aren't historically kept at a low temp. My incubators are ready and they won't need to rest so I just want to make sure and not waste them.

Some would undoubtedly hatch but possibly not as many as would hatch if your storage temperature were a little lower.

I found this in a university extension service publication (https://alec.unl.edu/documents/cde/2017/livestock-management/incubating-and-hatching-eggs-2017.pdf) :

"Temperature and humidity during storage

Fertile eggs should be stored between 55 and 65°F. If fertile eggs reach temperatures above 72°F, embryos will begin to develop abnormally, weaken, and die. Embryos stored below 46°F also have high embryo mortality. Room temperature is generally too warm and the refrigerator is too cold for storing fertile eggs."

Back
Top Bottom