Can you interpret chicken xray's?

SBPP

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2016
Visalia, CA

This is Sophie. She is 17 months old. We noticed her acting sick since 9/21. Stopped laying eggs, lethargic, tail drooping... She has been diagnosed with tumor in the intestines. It is difficult to see on xray (to the right of her rear knee, not the left that's the gizzard) She is negative for egg bound, negative for parasites and salmonella in stool. At this time, she is drinking very well but only pecks at food occasionally. She is finishing oxytetracycline 9/30. Stool is watery with little feces as she is not eating much and intestines may be somewhat obstructed from the tumor. Vet says tumors like this are typically carcinogenic and no treatment recommended.

Currently, Sophie has perked up from drinking electrolytes and scratches around as if she is comfortable at this time. I have meloxicam ready to treat her for pain. I have a plan in place to euthanize at the first signs that she is uncomfortable and showing signs that she is decompensating.

If you can read chicken xrays and you have any thoughts on alternative diagnosis or treatment please advise me. We love Sophie and just want to do whats best for her.

Thanks!

So sorry about Sophie
hugs.gif
Sounds like you are doing all you can for her. I have lost 2 of mine to cancers and know how frustrating and devastating the situation is for you and her.

I have no expertise with reading poultry X-rays but here's a link to an Aviary Medicine article on interpretations: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/12.pdf

Welcome to BYC, glad to have you join us but wish it were under better circumstances for you.

Thank you for your support. This link looks like a great resource too. Good Sunday morning light reading! Thank you

Thank you for your support. This link looks like a great resource too. Good Sunday morning light reading! Thank you
You're welcome, just wish I could offer real advice and some optimism.

You are lucky to have a vet who will see/treat poultry - most of us don't have that access.
IMO trust your vet's opinion and give her all the TLC you can.

I do want to Welcome you to BYC, it is awkward to do so when you are saddened with problems, but I am glad you decided to join us. 34 folks viewed your post, but most won't reply if they don't have an answer or helpful info.

I would encourage you to post an intro under the New Members Forum to receive a proper welcoming.

Please update me on Sophie, you both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom