Can you keep a rabbit and chickens together?

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
again, i am considering getting a pet rabbit. Here are some concerns i have:

what would the rabbit eat? can they eat chicken feed, or can the chickens eat rabbit feed?

where do they sleep, when the chickens go to roost?

i've heard of a rabbit nesting box, is this for sleep?

if my run is L shaped (flaring out at the bottom so nothing can get in) can a bunny dig through that?

would they get along?

how long do rabbits live? (specifically mini rexs, or mini lops)

can i just have one rabbit, with 3 pullets, or would i have to get another rabbit?

as you can see, i know nothing. so any information would be great. thanks for any replies i get.

rosy I am sending you a webcam someone here in MA has set up and it shows their rabbit set-up in the chicken pen area. I see the rabbit running around witht he chickens all the time and I did at one time ahve a rabitt in with mine. No problems whatsover.

www.hencam.com

It is dark right now so check it tomorrow during the day!

Yes rabbits and chickens can be housed together.

1) The rabbits eat rabbit pellets. They can eat some chicken food and the chickens can eat some of their food, but its best to put the food somewhere where the chickens cant get it.

2)Some people put their rabbits in cages at night, others just leave them out in the house. They will find their own place to sleep.

3)A rabbit nesting box is for when the rabbit has babies.

4)The rabbit probly wont try to dig under it.

5)Must of the time they will get along.At first they may peck at the rabbit, but they usually stop.

6)An average lifespan for a small rabbit is 12 years.

7)Rabbits are social and would probly do better with another rabbit, but you dont have to get a 2nd one.

Hi, I agree with all the above however if you just want one try to have a male. The does get hormonal and do dig to try and find a male!!!!
My 2 bunnies get along really well with all my chooks and chicks, they all freerange thru the day together swapping food and taking lettuce off each other. The chickens go to the coop at night whilst the bunnies stay outside with my burmese cat to look after them.
They can handle the cold but not heat!!the does make a burrow to raise young so another reason to get a male!!!
if you do get 2, get them neutered or at least the boy done, then when funds allow get her done too.
They make better pets and wont dig as much.

I raise rabbits and chickens together so I thought I would tell you this, no matter what sex the rabbit is, it WILL dig and will dig everyday. Under the fence, tunnels under the ground etc... Now if you fill the holes with bricks your fine til they dig another hole, other than the digging, there are no issues between the rabbits and chicks. They get along great, eat each others foods, and just lay around in the shade. I'm not sure as to life span, I sell mine when they are weaned.

Hi agai, My rabbits are mini lops and they havent dug a hole at all!! perhaps because they are freerange and have nothing to escape from!
But better to be on safe side and prevent a digout go for advice above!!
My bunnies dont mind the chicks, I have a pic i will put in this post soon!! i took it yesterday!
good luck

I have the same question, but wonder if it can work the same if I have a rooster and is their a period of acclimation anyone has found work best and how this was accomplished? Thanks! I love this forum!!!

Back
Top Bottom