Can you keep chickens in your house

We have a hen that leaves her flock and stands at our sliding glass door waiting for treats. She'll come right in when we open the door. She is the friendliest, sweetest chicken! I can pick her up all the time and flip her over and hold her like a baby. She just sits there and talks to me. She never flaps her wings when I go to put her down. She is a big sweetie and I can tell she wants to hang out with us sometimes more than her flock. I just bought a chicken diaper and a dress for her and can't wait to get it. I can tell she wants in and I would just love to sit on the couch and relax with her. I think if your chicken wants inside then let it inside but if they want out then let them out.
smile.png

Here is a picture of her just today riding in the 4Wheeler with the kids
smile.png

That's so cute! What a sweetie!

Last winter I had 7 chickens living in one of my rooms in the basement. I put down a tarp with some old sheets and very big pee pads. When they would get solid just toss it and put another down. At night they all would roost on a lawn chair I would put a pee pad under them to catch the poo.

I'm keeping my chicks in a dog crate in the detached garage. I could only stand to have them in the house for the first few weeks. To keep the bedding in the crate I cut some cardboard walls to go inside it. There are still pine shavings on the garage floor but it is minimal. I'm noticing a lot of dust in the garage lately, as if someone's been sawing wood in there. Not sure what the dust is from, but I wouldn't want it in my house. I let them walk around the garage floor a few days a week, but they poop everywhere, and I'm getting sick of cleaning it up. I just don't see how anyone could keep a chicken in the house, since it just seems like too much work. Also, they peck at everything, and would probably wind up swallowing a lot of carpet fibers in the house.

Last edited:
We kept our first chicken in the house for about six to eight weeks. It was no big deal when he was only a few weeks old. We kept him in a dog kennel in my daughters room. When we were having some down time we would let him hang with us in the living room. It was good for us to get use to a chicken this way since he was our first. I had a roll of toilet paper with me at all times. As the chicken poop became larger and stinker the faster the chicken coup got built. He had an outside run but nothing safe to over night in. In the end I was very happy to see him move outside into his new home. If you use a wire kennel you can buy that plastic roll out carpet protector matt and attach it to the bottom of the wire kennel to keep pine litter from spilling out everywhere. But even the biggest kennel isn't enough room for a full grown chicken. So I don't think keeping a chicken long term in the house works out very well unless you just enjoy cleaning poop soup off you're floors constantly. As for me, I did not.

now what if they had like meal worms buried in the cage so they can dig for bugs and have it deepcenough for them to dig and what if they could sun bathe
They are still going to be much happier as part of a flock. Even if only a flock of two.

There is a whole thread on house chickens here somewhere if you do a search.

The funny thing I noticed about chicken poop is that it does not wipe off easily. With dog poop you can often grab it with a towel and lift it off without staining. But chicken poop, even the solid-looking ones, always leaves a trail, and smears when you try and wipe it. I think that's because their urine is included in the package. Anyways, it would be just devastating to get that in the carpet! I like the term "poop soup" coined above heh.

Last edited:
I dont keep my chicken in the house. you probably could if you wanted to, but you would need to make some chicken diapers. lol

Back
Top Bottom