can you keep diamond dove finches and quail in the same aviary

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
can you keep quail diamond dove and finches in the same aviary if it is really big? i would want about 4 diamond dove 5 finches and about 6 button quail how big would the aviary need to be and would they get along

that should be fine, provide an aviary with plenty of length and width as the quail of course are ground birds, they like cover they can hid under.
diamond doves are both ground an dflyers, so they will need open ground space and branches, finches like to fly back and forth so will need the longer cage with branches on either end to fly back and forth to.

i dont know how prolific diamond doves are, but both finches and quail reproduce easily so youll have to be carefull with husbandry for territorial and breeding aspects as well as keeping ontop of any eggs and removing them imediatly if you dont want babies.

Most will be fine but rarely you can get an aggressive bird, i have one male dove that i can't even mate because he attacks the females. And some finches while nesting will harass the doves but only to and extant. The quail just mind their own business most of the time but sometimes you will get a feather picker

Good Luck!

I've heard that finches can be pretty mean and they are able to inflict worse wounds than doves or quail. The doves and quail together should be fine, but I'd keep an eye on the finches.

I have 4 Diamond doves, 8 Finch Socitys, and zebras, and 3 Button quail all in a 6 foot by 3 foot and 6 foot tall cageThey all get along just fine. the doves and quail breed great my finchs since I ahve had them I have only gotton two babys.

I have diamond doves, button quail, star finches, silverbill finches, spice finches and gouldian finches in a large indoor avairy. They do fine together, I have a variety of perches at different levels, attached some fake ivy along the the larges middle perch and up the sides and keep a couple cardboard "huts" in the bottom for the button quail, they can hide in them or behind them. (I toss em when they get poopy and make new ones) My DH also made a large swinging perch from a branch, drilled to accomodate two differnt size dowels to make three perches, the finches and doves love that one. I do have three small wicker baskets tucked under the ivy but remove any eggs. I think it helps that there are plenty of separate spaces, and some hiding spaces too.

Select finches that are compatable with each other, that have simialiar feeding requirements. I found a chart on line that was a big help, look out for breeds that are too territorial or get aggressive during breeding season.

I do have several feeding stations, on the ground and at mid-level I clamp millet sprays. I recently decided I want a seed feeder higher up and am deciding what to do about that. I also feed a variety of fresh foods and homemade egg food. I add some of my chickens layer crumbles (crushed) to my egg food for the quail but figure it can't hurt the others.

My friend mentioned my aviary feels like watching an aquarium with activity at every level.

I have all of those in an outdoor summer aviary (inside in the winter months). My doves are ring neck, but it is great since everyone uses a different level of the aviary for themselves.

Had Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches and Chinese Quail all in same aviary. All bred fine but had to watch the baby doves when fledging and put them on a shelf.

Quote:
Yes these type will be fine together......but some of the other larger finchs would do damage to the doves and quail.

So I say depend on what breed of finch

Back
Top Bottom