Can you keep Ducks with chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brooster, Jul 7, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I want to get two khaki hens, but can thay stay in the coop with the chickens?

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Mine do!! I have 5 ducks-1 Cayuga , 2 Pekin , and 2 Mallards. They all get along fine together. Ducks do make a mess with water though. they get the bedding pretty wet, so I have to Change my Bedding quite a bit![​IMG]

3. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Would you need to have at least two ducks with your chickens, or would one duck happily live with a few hens?

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I had one duck in with the chickens, after she lost her friends to a dog attack. She was alone with the chickens for about 3 months, and now she thinks she is a chicken! She wont go in the pond she tries to get the head Rooster to Mount her, and now with having 4 more ducks around, she is slowly comming around to being a duck again, but still will prefer to be with the chickens.

5. BigDEEZ

BigDEEZ New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    I have 3 pekins with chickens and they all like just fine together. Just that the 2 RIR roosters think that they are Ducks!!! Its funny to see a chicken try to follow a duck in to a pond. the 2 roosters hang out around the pond wating for the ducks to get out. [​IMG]

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ducks are very social, so there needs to be at least 2 ducks, otherwise the duck could end up with social problems and not know what it is.
    if you get older ducks that have never been around chickens, they may fight some.
    I have a rooster that lives with my ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by