Can you keep only 2 chicken or introduce 1 new one to the flock?

dalkeithowner

Chirping
Jun 15, 2013
Sadly one of our chickens was eggbound. I tried to help by bathing her several times, but this morning she was visibly in pain and hiding in a corner trying to lay all day. None of the few open vets were available to help so I had to put her down this evening.

This leaves me with just two chickens. They seem to get along, but most people seem to recommend owning at least 3.
I also see the recommendation not to introduce a single chicken to an established flock.

I'm looking for advice here on how many to get - if any. We are happy with two birds. A third one would be nicer but I'm not sure about introducing a single bird. I don't need as many as 4 and would only want to consider this if remaining at 2 or getting back to three is less than ideal.

Our coop should support up to 5 large birds, not that I want that many.

You probably could go with a single bird. You'd probably just want to watch it closely, to make sure it's not getting bullied, and getting to the food and water. There will most likely be some pecks while getting the pecking order figured out, though. Make sure to do a proper integration as well. Don't just throw the bird in with the current two.

To my knowledge the recommendation to keep at least three chickens is meant for the case that one gets sick/will die, so the other will not be alone.

If you really want some more I would add at least two adult chickens, keeping in mind they first have to pass 4 weeks of quarantine.

But I think you will be fine with just the two of them.

Yes you can just keep the two birds, if that works for you, go with that.

But you can do it, add one, but it is a bit tricky. A lot depends on how much space you really have. I am assuming that you would be adding a full size bird. You could add chicks, but then I would suggest at least two, and a different way of doing it.

So you create a small fenced off area and you put the new girl in that. You feed along fence for a couple of days. Then, you take one of your original birds and put that bird in with the new bird and let them duke it out, one on one. Or you put one of your old birds in there, and put the new bird out to free range with the other old bird. Again, feed along the fence, but make sure everyone is getting food.

After a couple of days, when things have settled down, you then remove the extra fence.

Mrs K

You can add a single adult laying hen, but adding a single chick or adolescent is not a good idea (they are usually shunned by the older birds and the stress can be too much).

A grown hen that is the same size as your current layers isn't likely to get bullied by them.

Since you said you're fine with 2, I'd just keep it at 2 right now. If something happens to one of them, at that point I'd consider adding 2 more chicks, to try and make for the easiest integration possible.

Back
Top Bottom