can you keep turkeys with ringneck pheasants

I would like to know if you can keep turkeys and pheasants in the same pen
You would need a pen big enough that it would seem like they are free ranging.

When I had turkeys and pheasants at the same time, it worked best to keep them isolated from each other.

Population density is likely the controlling factor.

@muddy75 breaks all the rules about keeping multiple types of birds in the same pens.

@R2elk is correct in all aspects!
I do break the rules but I am well aware of the potential consequences of my actions and allow plenty of square footage for the birds. My BB turkeys are introduced as chicks and are only temporary residents. If they were heritage breeds, I would most likely keep separate from my other birds and have raised them separately in the past.

thanks for the info. it sounds like a no but can you keep ether of them with guineas?
Guineas should be kept by themselves. Guineas have behaviors that are unique to them and only another guinea can understand a guinea. If raised alone and housed alone they can be free ranged in the same areas as other poultry without causing trouble.

Guineas will bond very easily with turkeys but can also cause the turkeys great stress.

Howdy and Welcome to BYC!

In general, it's not a good idea to mix different species of game birds. Each species has it's behavioral, nutritional, and spacial requirements, as well as pathogenic diseases. And example would be turkeys and pheasants, both are susceptible to black head disease, although turkeys are more so than pheasants, if either of the group gets the disease, it could be transferred from one to the other and possibly wiping out both groups.

Although, some people do mix various species and report 'no problems', it's really a 'ticking time bomb', not a question of if but of when a problem or disease will arise.

Back
Top Bottom