Can you lead a duck to water??

mrsmendlebright

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
It is now October. We got 2 ducks this spring at Orschlen's. They are/were just adorable. We live in the country with a very large chicken house and run. They have done super, being with the chickens. They free-range quite a bit. But - and I know you know this - they are so messy. I also know that they need to "rinse" their bills off or they crust over along with their eyes. Right now we have a kid's pool in the chicken pen. They drink out of and swim in this pool. When we got Donatella and Tip, we anticipated taking them to our small lake that is about 100 yds (at the most) from their coop. However, my husband had 2 mild strokes and a heart attack in May. Things got pushed back and it never happened. They are not super-tame since I didn't have the time to be with them. Now to my question, if I take them down to our private lake and put them in the water, will they find their way home? I feel badly that they are not getting to play in water like they are supposed to. They are not overly tame, and I can't imagine how we would ever catch them on the water. My intention was for them to be introduced to the water and then waddle down there when they free-range. But things didn't work out like I wanted. Thanks to all that answer.

It is now October. We got 2 ducks this spring at Orschlen's. They are/were just adorable. We live in the country with a very large chicken house and run. They have done super, being with the chickens. They free-range quite a bit. But - and I know you know this - they are so messy. I also know that they need to "rinse" their bills off or they crust over along with their eyes. Right now we have a kid's pool in the chicken pen. They drink out of and swim in this pool. When we got Donatella and Tip, we anticipated taking them to our small lake that is about 100 yds (at the most) from their coop. However, my husband had 2 mild strokes and a heart attack in May. Things got pushed back and it never happened. They are not super-tame since I didn't have the time to be with them. Now to my question, if I take them down to our private lake and put them in the water, will they find their way home? I feel badly that they are not getting to play in water like they are supposed to. They are not overly tame, and I can't imagine how we would ever catch them on the water. My intention was for them to be introduced to the water and then waddle down there when they free-range. But things didn't work out like I wanted. Thanks to all that answer.
I have a pond that's not even that far from my ducks house and they won't get in it. My dad even picked up a duck and put her in the pond and you would have thought it was lava.
My friends say I need to get in the pond since I'm the Momma Duck but I don't see that happening, so they can continue to enjoy their pool. I clean it daily

Perhaps in the future if you get more ducklings you can teach them to go to the lake and back and then your current ones will follow the flock? That, or move the whole set up closer temporarily, have the kiddie pool right next to the lake, maybe even in it, then gradually move the setup back to the desired spot. This would take a lot of effort though! I don’t imagine them swimming in the lake is that important, but it’s a suggestion! Good luck!

I think it would be possible but with ducks you need a routine. You would have to take them down there and bring them back for a couple of weeks and then they would get the drift.

Back
Top Bottom