Pics

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
some of you might have read my past posts, but I’m getting fertilized polish chicken eggs this spring and I want to put them under one of my hens when they go broody, so she can raise them. And it would be much easier if I was able to Time it. So I was wondering if it’s possible to make a hen go broody or make them get broody faster.

Polish are non-setters so likely one of them won't go broody.
Do you have any breeds that are prone to go broody like cochins, brahmas, silkies, penedesencas, orpingtons?
When I've left eggs in the nest for a few days I've had hens decide to start setting but as said, it isn't magic. They either want to raise a family or they don't.

Polish are non-setters so likely one of them won't go broody.
Do you have any breeds that are prone to go broody like cochins, brahmas, silkies, penedesencas, orpingtons?
I forgot to mention or I didn't say clearly, that I'm ordering polish eggs to be raised by one of my current hens that start laying in February. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Easter Eggers. (My profile picture has a pic of 3 of my pullets!)

I forgot to mention or I didn't say clearly, that I'm ordering polish eggs to be raised by one of my current hens that start laying in February. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Easter Eggers. (My profile picture has a pic of 3 of my pullets!)

You can break a broody, most of the time, but you can't make them broody. As was suggested, it's best to wait for a hen to go broody, and then order your eggs.

some of you might have read my past posts, but I’m getting fertilized polish chicken eggs this spring and I want to put them under one of my hens when they go broody, so she can raise them. And it would be much easier if I was able to Time it. So I was wondering if it’s possible to make a hen go broody or make them get broody faster.
No.

You can break a broody, most of the time, but you can't make them broody. As was suggested, it's best to wait for a hen to go broody, and then order your eggs.
Ok. Is there a common time for my hens (Probably going to be one of my Buff orps) to go broody? Like around March,April, or May?

Usually, the lengthening days of early spring is what triggers the brooding hormones. But not every broody hen will brood in spring. Some do it in mid summer or late fall (like my Australorps). Orpingtons do tend to be broody, but that doesn't mean that yours will be. Even if one of your hens does go broody, it's a good idea to have an incubator as a backup, incase she stops sitting too early.
You also have to think about what you are going to do with the cockerels that hatch.

Back
Top Bottom