Can you make a rooster stop crowing?

suburbanfarmer

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Point Reyes Station, CA
I am quite attached to my 4 month old white langshan roo but he has recently started to crow. It is still unperfected and he hasn't yet attempted the early morning crow, but I feel it coming. I live in an area that I can have a rooster but if I get complaints they can make me give him away. My neighbors live close to me and are ok with me having chickens, but I don't want to test the limits. Any suggestions?

Stopping him? May as well try to stop the sun.

I dont feel qualified to give ways to mitigate his crowing - I dont have males. But someone will come along with some good ideas... some of which may actually work. Which I doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions?

Fried chicken for supper?

Sorry, that's the only way I can think of to stop a roo from crowing.​

The only thing that I've heard of that "kinda" worked was to put the rooster in a completely dark box (dog kennel or something) at night and then wait to let him out at whatever time in the morning you want. The box has to be literally totally black.

You cannot stop a rooster from crowing but you might be able to stop him during the night when he's most likely to upset the neighbors.

Lets hope your neighbors arent night workers, like me!

The guy dwn the road has a rooster that crows at all hours of th day. That bird doesn't need any rising sun or rustic windmill in the background. Oh no - he lets loose whenever the urge strikes him.

Yep. A hatchet works very nicely
lol.png

A hatchet is your best bet. However, if coc au vin is not on the menu you can place your roosts very high up in your coop so that he cannot get his neck in the position needed to crow. You could try to make it as dark as possible in there at night. Not to sound too pessimistic but neither are likely to work very well. My roo crows at all hours. OK, I take that back, he gets quiet around 8-9 PM and starts up again around 3 AM. I am so used to it that I don't even hear it anymore. Hopefully, you have very understanding neighbors.

Last edited:
I have an insulated coop which helps greatly when things are closed up in cold weather. When it's hot out people have their AC on so that's a good time too. The worrisome times are when the weather is great and people have their windows open and the coop window is also open. I try to keep my feathered friends in the coop till at least 8 a.m. My roo (
love.gif
him)doesn't crow all that much but still I try to minimize the possibility of any upset neighbors. It's sort of ironic because some of their dogs never shut up and it's incredibly grating. I'd rather listen to a roo crow all the live long day. But I am trying to set a better example than inconsiderate dog owners.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom