Can you mate 2 different quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shay20, Jun 8, 2009.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hello, ok now I know i have 2 males.
    One is a Tuxedo and one is tibetan.

I have another tuxedo i think is a female and a white speckled one i forget the name.

Can I breed the Tibetan with the Tuxedo ? or should i stick with breeding the 2 Tuxedo's?

2. vortec

vortec Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Interesting... I do not know the answer but would like to know too.

vortec

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yes you can they are all the same breed of bird that's just a different color. Or are you asking what you'll get colorwise from crossing them?

Probably tibetans and tuxedos [​IMG]

ETA these are ALL coturnix (all the same species just bred for a different color jus tlike a yellow lab and a chocolate lab are the same just different color):

Jumbo Brown
    Brown
    Pharoah
    Japanese
    Golden
    Manchurian (same thing as golden)
    Italian speckled (same thing as golden)
    Red
    Red tibetan
    Black (same thing as red tibetan)
    Dark tibetan (same thing as red tibetan)
    Orange tibetan
    tibetan
    british range (same thing as tibetan)
    Red
    Red tuxedo
    tuxedo
    A & M
    english white
    Ginger
    Fawn

the list goes on and on [​IMG]

All the same bird

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:I was wondering if it made a difference, like would they come out looking like 50/50 or if they looked splash if it makes a difference to people that would buy the chicks.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I was wondering if it made a difference, like would they come out looking like 50/50 or if they looked splash if it makes a difference to people that would buy the chicks.

theres no splash in coturnix yet but boy would that be pretty. theres pied but that's just an A & M with patches of color.

It depends on the birds individual genetics. Like the tuxedo is a tibetan thats carring the A & M (or english white) gene. So breeding it to a tibetan should give you tuxedos and tibetans.

You produce a tuxedo by breeding a tibetan (or a tuxedo) to a white coturnix (a & m or english white).

tuxedo to tuxedo should produce tuxedo but may also produce some tibetans.

tibetan to tibetan...tibetan [​IMG]

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass

theres no splash in coturnix yet but boy would that be pretty. theres pied but that's just an A & M with patches of color.

It depends on the birds individual genetics. Like the tuxedo is a tibetan thats carring the A & M (or english white) gene. So breeding it to a tibetan should give you tuxedos and tibetans.

You produce a tuxedo by breeding a tibetan (or a tuxedo) to a white coturnix (a & m or english white).

tuxedo to tuxedo should produce tuxedo but may also produce some tibetans.

tibetan to tibetan...tibetan [​IMG]

LOL [​IMG]

7. Firefly1v

Firefly1v Songster

Jan 13, 2009
    FL
    Can you breed anything else to a Gambel? We just lost our male to a coon and haven't been able to find another. We have Pharoh quail to with a lot of males. So thought we would try that??

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I know you cannot breed two males.......(tee hee)

9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:I know you cannot breed two males.......(tee hee)

yea [​IMG]
    I mean i want to get rid of one of them, i am trying to figure out which one i want to keep to mate with the girls. lol

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    you can surely try it im not sure how big or small gamble hens are compaired to coturnix but you can cross bobwhite to coturnix (but you have to be careful of aggression and only 1 in 4 eggs are fertile from it i've been told) soo i'd asusme it may be simliar. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: