Can you mate 2 different quails?

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Hello, ok now I know i have 2 males.
One is a Tuxedo and one is tibetan.

I have another tuxedo i think is a female and a white speckled one i forget the name.

Can I breed the Tibetan with the Tuxedo ? or should i stick with breeding the 2 Tuxedo's?

yes you can they are all the same breed of bird that's just a different color. Or are you asking what you'll get colorwise from crossing them?

Probably tibetans and tuxedos
smile.png

ETA these are ALL coturnix (all the same species just bred for a different color jus tlike a yellow lab and a chocolate lab are the same just different color):

Jumbo Brown
Brown
Pharoah
Japanese
Golden
Manchurian (same thing as golden)
Italian speckled (same thing as golden)
Red
Red tibetan
Black (same thing as red tibetan)
Dark tibetan (same thing as red tibetan)
Orange tibetan
tibetan
british range (same thing as tibetan)
Red
Red tuxedo
tuxedo
A & M
english white
Ginger
Fawn

the list goes on and on
smile.png

All the same bird

Last edited:
Quote:
I was wondering if it made a difference, like would they come out looking like 50/50 or if they looked splash if it makes a difference to people that would buy the chicks.

Quote:
I was wondering if it made a difference, like would they come out looking like 50/50 or if they looked splash if it makes a difference to people that would buy the chicks.

theres no splash in coturnix yet but boy would that be pretty. theres pied but that's just an A & M with patches of color.

It depends on the birds individual genetics. Like the tuxedo is a tibetan thats carring the A & M (or english white) gene. So breeding it to a tibetan should give you tuxedos and tibetans.

You produce a tuxedo by breeding a tibetan (or a tuxedo) to a white coturnix (a & m or english white).

tuxedo to tuxedo should produce tuxedo but may also produce some tibetans.

tibetan to tibetan...tibetan
smile.png

Quote:

theres no splash in coturnix yet but boy would that be pretty. theres pied but that's just an A & M with patches of color.

It depends on the birds individual genetics. Like the tuxedo is a tibetan thats carring the A & M (or english white) gene. So breeding it to a tibetan should give you tuxedos and tibetans.

You produce a tuxedo by breeding a tibetan (or a tuxedo) to a white coturnix (a & m or english white).

tuxedo to tuxedo should produce tuxedo but may also produce some tibetans.

tibetan to tibetan...tibetan
smile.png

LOL
th.gif

Can you breed anything else to a Gambel? We just lost our male to a coon and haven't been able to find another. We have Pharoh quail to with a lot of males. So thought we would try that??

Quote:
I know you cannot breed two males.......(tee hee)

yea
lau.gif

I mean i want to get rid of one of them, i am trying to figure out which one i want to keep to mate with the girls. lol

you can surely try it im not sure how big or small gamble hens are compaired to coturnix but you can cross bobwhite to coturnix (but you have to be careful of aggression and only 1 in 4 eggs are fertile from it i've been told) soo i'd asusme it may be simliar.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom