Can you neuter a drake?

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
Seriously my Pekin drake is non-stop. He breeds and breeds and breeds. He is not gentle with the ladies. I have 7 girls and they are not enough for him!

I love him to death, he is our favorite duck because he is bumbly and goofy and has a great friendly personality. However I have to give the girls regular breaks from him.
I have no intent of ever hatching out his eggs. I will be breeding Welsh Harlequins in the future. He is just a lovable goof ball we adopted.

Can you neuter a drake?

Seriously my Pekin drake is non-stop.  He breeds and breeds and breeds.  He is not gentle with the ladies.  I have 7 girls and they are not enough for him!

I love him to death, he is our favorite duck because he is bumbly and goofy and has a great friendly personality.  However I have to give the girls regular breaks from him.
I have no intent of ever hatching out his eggs.  I will be breeding Welsh Harlequins in the future.  He is just a lovable goof ball we adopted.

Can you neuter a drake?
I wish. I had to find my boy a home because of this. He decided my 2 small girls where all he wanted even though he had 5 to choose from. They lost all the feathers on their backs and ran from him all day. He would slam them to the ground and have his was then as soon as he let them up he did it all over again. Soooooo annoying, and I get frustrated because he is just doing what he is suppose to do and isn't being bad or anything.

sadly when u castrate (neuter) a male duck then they get really fat and after some time have feel as if they don't have anything to do, so they just lay around and eat :( its really sad to see, since they have no testosterone they have no motivation

My vet said that there are hormone injections you can give a male bird to reduce his drive to breed. She is looking into the possibility for drakes and will call me back with the cost. Otherwise she can do the surgery, however she said his drive will decrease as he ages so she would prefer something to calm him down during breeding season each year until he settles down on his own. He is 13 months old and she compared him to a teenager in his enthusiasm LOL!
roll.png

My vet gave my 1 year old Pekin drake a shot of Lutalyse last night. Within a couple hours he went from slamming my girls into the ground to breed one after another after another and picking fights to just simply acting like a duck, digging through the mud, swimming in his pool and taking naps when the flock napped. I'm hoping that the flock will start to allow him near them once they see that he is not being so mean. Right now where ever Ferd goes the flock runs away in a panic.

The injection should last 10 days and was $38 dollars. My vet is getting an implant shipped to her that will be $30 to place and last 6 weeks. It is about the size of the microchips they place into dogs. I'm hoping to only have to do that once then breeding season will be over.

Keep your fingers crossed that this works. We love Ferd but he is not nice to ducks right now, I just want my silly, goofy, gallumpy Ferd back.

24 hours in and he is much better. He still breeds the girls and unfortunately is rough, but it is not non-stop. He can be a regular duck most of the time with some breeding mixed in. Fingers crossed that this continues to work as well as it has. :)

@Sfraker - just checking in to see how it's working out with Ferd. Have you only done the injection or has the implant been placed? Hoping for an update.
smile.png

It lasted a week before I started to notice him getting back to normal. He was so rough with Duck Vader last night that I had to bring her in the house for the night. He did something to her that caused her to not be able to get out of the pool. The ducks are always going in and out and with a flock of the same breed I didn't notice the same one was in the pool all day. She got chilled and had to come in for a warm bath and spent the night in the house in a rubbermaid tub with her best friend. I assume she was the one that he tackled and was rough with in the pool in the AM.
Needless to say he is seperated from the rest of the flock now. I plan on moving forward with the implants as I hope they last longer. If not he is getting neutered.
I love him but we don't plan on breeding him so he will be done with that.

Back
Top Bottom