Can you please post pictures of you chicken coop?

Quote:
Beautiful coop, but I have a question - how in the world do you fit 45 chickens in this little coop and run - do you have another one somewhere that you house them in? I have 6 RIR's in a coop that is 4x5 (just the floor space) plus the nesting box is 2.5 X 2 ft, giving them about 7.5 sqft per bird (if my math is correct) - along with their outside run of 12X12.

Maybe mine are in too big of a house??

All these coops are gorgeous - and that LODGE - HOLY COW! Wonder how many that one holds? LOL

Last edited:
Lovemychix,

did I say something wrong that caused you to edit your response? I wasnt being nasty to anyone, if thats why you edited, which is why I think you did.

I thought it was a fair question as I am new to having chickens myself and my coop is about the same size from the looks of birdie's coop (which is quite beautiful - wish I was that crafty using old lumber and had the patience to do that!
smile.png
) I only have 6 girls now and in the future, would like more - if DH would allow - and am unsure how many I can fit inside of my own coop. We based it off of the "rule of thumb" from this site of about 4 sqft per bird - which is why I asked is my coop too large for 6 birds - i.e,. can you actually fit 45 birds in a coop that big??

Written word has no monotone and you cannot hear someone .... so give someone the benefit of the doubt next time.

Thanks!

Deb

Last edited:
Quote:
No not at all!! I thought you was talking about my coop, and then realized that that you wasn't. I was just explaining that some of my birdies are going to another home to make room for my new ones and that we are building a 16 x 16 run out the back now. I hate to see some of my birds go elsewhere but I don't have room for all of them. That's all I edited out. Sorry for the mix up.

Lovemychix,

Now see, guess I went and jumped the gun too and offer you my apologies as well (open mouth insert foot syndrome applies feverently)
hmm.png
My humble apologies to you as well - as it seems I lept before I looked also.

Thanks for the clarification
wink.png

Deb

Great idea to post pics of our coops! Here's my first one. My fiance and I built it out of mostly recycled materials. We've never built anything before so it was a bit of a headache at times, but ultimately lots of fun. It felt great to finish the project and put the girls in.
13565_dscn3839.jpg

This next one came with my wonderful new house in the country on Whidbey Island. That was half the charm of the place.
smile.png
It currently houses about 20 hens. (It's bigger than it looks!)
13565_dscn4044.jpg

The last coop is a little one I made on my own out of totally recycled, 100% free materials. I'm delighted to say that I didn't have to shell out one dime for this thing. The bad news is, it looks like it was free.
gig.gif
I used it to house three little banty turkens, but have recently moved them all into the bigger coop as it's getting colder here now and I wanted them to have a snug coop to sleep in at night. This one isn't insulated.
13565_dscn4561.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol. I have been using recycled materials as well and know exactly what you are talking about. But there is an enormous amount of pride that goes into accomplishing such a useful shelter for almost nothing but some imagination and a little sweat.
I have been on both sides of it. Done projects with all new materials, and then more recently sourced recycled materials. I love the challenge of building something from something else. It might not be aesthetically as beautiful in a traditional sense, but to me, the concept and experience is beautiful.

I have been going to a local recycling yard that collects building materials and home stuff, right down to nails and screws. You pay next to nothing for great stuff. Also, there is a garage door installer in my neighborhood and they set out removed door panels for people to take. I've scored some great free material from them.

I'll post some pics of my recent projects soon.

Quote:
A little paint will change that! :) I can see how pretty it would look painted with a cute little hanging chicken sign and a wreath over the pop door... I bet you wouldn't need to do too much to fix it up except a coat of paint....I'm all about the painting - I'll paint anything that stands still.... just ask my DH...LOL.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
A little paint will change that! :) I can see how pretty it would look painted with a cute little hanging chicken sign and a wreath over the pop door... I bet you wouldn't need to do too much to fix it up except a coat of paint....I'm all about the painting - I'll paint anything that stands still.... just ask my DH...LOL.
thumbsup.gif

I agree! You slap a little paint and flower pot on anything and it has LOTS of charm.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom