Can you put any type rooster with any type of hens ?

They look like red sex links. If they are from a feed store it is 50/50 there is a cockerel in there. Post individual pics if you can, or at least some more in pics with smaller groups.
The owner of the store also keeps chickens and knows about them, he said deffo no rooster in the 12.
What's red sex links ?

Owners of places often just want to sell birds. But alrighty it is up to you.

And google is your friend. Google red sex link chicken and learn some stuff about your animals :) That is a hybrid "breed" that is sexable by their color at birth. I could be wrong though. Hard to say for sure from the picture.

I'm new to hens and have just bought a dozen for eggs. They are around 3 months old.
I'm looking for a rooster to put with them and wondering, can I put any type rooster with my hens ?
Can I put any age rooster with them or do they need to be similar ages ?
Thanks.
To protect the hens, maybe breed some later, like to hear a rooster wake up call.
They are all Red Sex-Link pullets. They will not breed true no matter what male you put with them. I have older males with younger females and younger males with older females. Introducing a male will be fine. A male can be had too just about as easily as a female. Sex-links are cross-bred chickens whose color at hatching is differentiated by sex, thus making chick sexing an easier process, such as a Red Sex-Link, which is a cross generally between a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire Red male and Rhode Island White or White Rock females. For a Black Sex-Link, you would breed a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire Red male to a Barred Rock female. Red Star, Golden Comet, Gold Star, or Cinnamon Queen are often referred to as simply Red Sex-Links. Black Star is a Black Sex-Link. It depends on the specific cross used. Red Sex-Links are produced by a number of different crosses. The Red Sex-Link male chicks hatch out white and the females are a buff color. Sex-links come in many varieties, and are not a true breed. If you mate a Sex-Link with any other breed you will get a mutt or barnyard chicken. The chicks of a Sex-Link can hatch out to be most any color. They will still be very good layers. My males aren't big crowers. They will crow when I'm out around the coops or when they want to get my attention and if there is anything out around the coops and pens. I'm lucky. Some people have some males that are near constant crowers. Good luck and have fun...

Here is a link to a video about how to deal with an aggressive Rooster. If you should happen to get one. Best to start at the first signs of agression and nip that in the butt. The video is a bit long but really worth it. I used his advice and my boy is a lap roo now. ^_^

My lap Roo named T-Rex View attachment 2400976

And if you want to see what an aggressive rooster looks like.. here is Kyle. Nobody wants a Kyle....
Great videos! Sounds like Kyle's owner needs to see the first video! ☺

I'm new to hens and have just bought a dozen for eggs. They are around 3 months old.
I'm looking for a rooster to put with them and wondering, can I put any type rooster with my hens ?
Can I put any age rooster with them or do they need to be similar ages ?
Thanks.
UPDATE ...............
I found a rooster of a similar age to my hens and put him in with them. They attacked him big time. He's been in 2 days now, they won't let him eat or drink, immediately he comes out the box for food or water they chase him round and attack him.
Should I separate him into his own run until he is bigger and older ??????

UPDATE ...............
I found a rooster of a similar age to my hens and put him in with them. They attacked him big time. He's been in 2 days now, they won't let him eat or drink, immediately he comes out the box for food or water they chase him round and attack him.
Yes, you need to do an integration!

UPDATE ...............
I would separate him with one, maybe two pullets. (At this age, ratio won’t matter). That way, when you integrate them back, it won’t be just one lone bird trying to make his way into a cohesive flock. 3-7 days ought to be enough, especially if their separation area can be inside the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom