can you raise turkeys with ducks?

aussieheelr

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
western slope, Colorado
The hatchery is shipping out our ducks and turkeys together but can they be in the same brooder? They will be in pens next to eachother once grown out due to the obvious hazard of turkey+pond=no thanksgiving dinner
We figured that ducks were smarter and would teach the poults to eat and such.
Thoughts... ready set go!

I currently have 2 rir, 3 polish leghornX, 2 runner ducks, & 2 turkeys all together in the same brooder. I do have to change their towels every day though. My turkeys sleep kennel up with my ducks in their coop every night. They love each other!

I would not brood them together. Ducks are way to wet and will chill your turkeys. Later as long as there is plenly of room mine have lived together great. I am getting geese shipped out on Monday. I will brood them away from my turkeys and chickens.

Ok. Will brood away. DH is building the settup right now. We'll post it to the coop contest once we're done... VERY cool idea. They'll stay seperated due to the little pond he built for the ducks. With the experance I've had with turkeys in the past, over 10 years ago now, we didn't want to risk one of the turkeys ending up in the pond for any such reason. Just going to avoid any search and rescue that we can.

Back
Top Bottom