can you really make a living off of a small farm?

Great responses from everyone.

I will also advocate for taking some time to work on other farms if you are able. Since you have some great focus of what you might like to do, find a farm that seems to align with your interests. And more then one farm would be ideal.

My sister is several years older then you; she decided to take a two year horticultural course and a one year farm internship. She just finished a job at another farm. She's learned a lot, but also suffers from anxiety issues, and found that starting her own business was a little too overwhelming for right now.

Since you have your parents land to use, there's far less pressure for you which is good.

I wish you all the best as well. I hope you find some success in your first project.

Great responses from everyone.

I will also advocate for taking some time to work on other farms if you are able. Since you have some great focus of what you might like to do, find a farm that seems to align with your interests. And more then one farm would be ideal.

My sister is several years older then you; she decided to take a two year horticultural course and a one year farm internship. She just finished a job at another farm. She's learned a lot, but also suffers from anxiety issues, and found that starting her own business was a little too overwhelming for right now.

Since you have your parents land to use, there's far less pressure for you which is good.

I wish you all the best as well. I hope you find some success in your first project.
thank you. :)

Be careful. I believe that if you don anything, then it becomes a JOB and it can suck the fun out of it.

Oh, I dunno - if you're going to hate something, it might as well be something you love. ;)

But seriously, we all have jobs. If you're going to play the same video game 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 20 years regardless ... and you are ... why not make it one that you enjoy.

I've tried to live my life by that and 20 years in I can't say that financially it's been nothing but up, but I'm still here, still doing, and man do I have some stories to tell you....

Exactly, it depends on your goals and expectations.
Something can be hard work and sometimes very stressful and still be a great way to make a living. Ups and downs to everything!

hello everyone
right now am considering going to start a small farm operation, and am wondering is it even possible or worth the time and money to start something like this. okay i will try to explain a bit about my idea.

at the moment am 18 years old, and looking at career paths or more the future, and i love working/raising animals/being a farmer. i love working a garden and i enjoy raising chickens/ducks.
but now am thinking of starting off a small farm to help support myself. at the moment i live on 21 acres. and this is my idea.

i don't want to be locked into a job where i have a 9-5 office i like being outdoors,

so my idea was starting off small, with different heard/flocks of animals. you know raise say 10 pigs keep one for home consumption take the rest to market, raise some sheep and goats for the meat market (like maybe 10 of each to start off with), i would love to start some aquaponics for fresh veggies and fish to market, grow some fruit to take to farmers markets. and along the line just be a self sufficient and selling the extra (legally) to consumers.

am not looking to become the next millionaire just to make some money as a side business for awhile to a decide what i really want to do in life. so the question is can you make a go in life on a small farm any tips or tricks?

thanks for reading this itsasmallfarm out. :)
Look up the book market garder also look into some people who are already doing it.
What are the needs in your market area. Is the something you can grow or raise that some restaurants or farm market doesn't have but people want. Remember people may not want what you like. They like what they like and that is what they will buy. Find a need or niche and meet it with consistent quality and you can do well.
The guy who wrote the market gardener is from Canada and does his whole operation on less than ten acres if I remember correctly. There is a guy in Milwaukee that does it on three acres he does aquaponics and greenhouses so again find a need meet the need and make sure you have a good website, social media so people can find you....
So wondering where you are in the process....

Also if you did the aquaponics thing I would check out that guy in Milwaukee he does what you are looking to do has a bunch of youtbe videos but he also sells week long training at his place if I remember correctly...been a bit since I checked it out...

Back
Top Bottom