can you refrigerate fermented feed

Jul 1, 2021
Hi! I just started fermenting. Once it's fermented if they don't eat it all in a day can I refrigerate the remainder and still feed the following day? Also do you set it all out at once in the morning or do I put it out twice a day? Can it be in a metal trough or should it be plastic? Thank you!

You should use a plastic container: metal may react with the ff liquor.
If they are free ranging, put out about as much as they can eat in 20 mins in the morning, and the same again in the evening. If they depend entirely on you for food, you might want to offer more. Over time you'll be able to estimate fairly accurately how much they'll want. On those rare occasions that there is some left over in the evening here I bring in and cover with water, to drain and offer with first feed next day; refrigeration is not necessary.

Hi! I just started fermenting. Once it's fermented if they don't eat it all in a day can I refrigerate the remainder and still feed the following day? Also do you set it all out at once in the morning or do I put it out twice a day? Can it be in a metal trough or should it be plastic? Thank you!
It would say, it depends. If the spot where you store the feed is quite hot, you may need to refrigerate to slow down the rate of fermentation (or do what I do and make smaller batches when it's hot). I've never refrigerated fermented feed and in moderate temperature it's good 5+ days like that.

I personally only feed it in the morning as my flock has access to dry feed all day as well.

I personally use glass or ceramic as they're non reactive (unlike metal) and no issues with chemicals leeching (which can be a problem with plastic, depending on type).

I also just started this week. So far our hens finish the feed in a short time, nothing left. But I have some questions:

1. For the fermented liquid, do you repeated use it for next fermentation or can give chickens with the feed?
2. Do you have several jars and make the fermented feeds in different batchs?

Thanks a lot.

1. My chickens prefer their fermeted feed on the drier side so I keep my ferment jar on the dry side too (like very thick oatmeal), so no leftover liquid.
2. Nope, I just do 1 jar and refill as needed. I'm not trying to be precise about length of time the feed sits though. I start feeding it from 24 hrs on, and just continue until it gets used up, then I start another batch in the same jar, along with any residue left from previous batch.

Last edited:
1. My chickens prefer their feed on the drier side so I keep my ferment on the dry side too (like very thick oatmeal), so no leftover liquid.
2. Nope, I just do 1 jar and refill as needed. I'm not trying to be precise about length of time the feed sits though. I start feeding it from 24 hrs on, and just continue until it gets used up, then I start another batch in the same jar, along with any residue left from previous batch.
Thank you, I will follow the same :D

Yes, you can refrigerate the remainder. Refrigeration will slow the fermenting process. I set out only enough for them to eat in one day. It took me about a week or so to figure the right amount of feed to ferment. I use a kitchen scale to weigh out my feed so that I don’t have any extra. Also, they have dry feed available to them at all times. I use plastic feed troughs for the fermented feed.
Edited to say: Refrigeration slows the fermenting process. Freezing will stop the feed from fermenting any further.

Attachments

• FB28B66A-C078-4A37-83CC-A711ADDEFA70.jpeg
    FB28B66A-C078-4A37-83CC-A711ADDEFA70.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I also just started this week. So far our hens finish the feed in a short time, nothing left. But I have some questions:

1. For the fermented liquid, do you repeated use it for next fermentation or can give chickens with the feed?
2. Do you have several jars and make the fermented feeds in different batchs?

Thanks a lot.
I strain the FF water and give it to the chickens to drink. They will drink some of the FF water. Then later in the day, whatever FF water is left, I will mix with the remaining feed dust from their dry feed. They eat every bit and nothing is wasted.
I don’t back slop because it was causing kahm yeast. I start with a clean jar, fresh water and dry feed every day. I use 4 jars and ferment for 3 days by rotating through. I stir twice a daily. I cover them with muslin cloth and store out of sunlight.

Attachments

• F732827E-349B-4104-86DB-8014764B2901.jpeg
    F732827E-349B-4104-86DB-8014764B2901.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 12
  • FDCC1C6C-1CA3-4230-AC6A-5ECBA80CA8A7.jpeg
    FDCC1C6C-1CA3-4230-AC6A-5ECBA80CA8A7.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I strain the FF water and give it to the chickens to drink. They will drink some of the FF water. Then later in the day, whatever FF water is left, I will mix with the remaining feed dust from their dry feed. They eat every bit and nothing is wasted.
I don’t back slop because it was causing kahm yeast. I start with a clean jar, fresh water and dry feed every day. I use 4 jars and ferment for 3 days by rotating through. I stir twice a daily. I cover them with muslin cloth and store out of sunlight.
It's also a good idea to mix the FF water with dry feed, thanks for the sharing. I will try this as well.

Back
Top Bottom