Can you ride an ostrich?

my cousin worked at dixie stampede in gatlinburg tennessee. its a dinner show where they ride horses and things of that nature, but back to the story she was an ostrich rider there before she upgraded to riding the horses in the show.

My DS (16) wants an ostrich so he can ride it. For some reason he's been on this kick for the past few days.
hu.gif

Yes you can ride them. Ostrich farming is big business in South Africa, and most big farms allow tourists to go for a ride. The bird is taken into a pen and blindfolded though before a tourist gets on. I myself have ridden one (I'm South African), but if I kept any of my own, I don't think I would be brave enough. Be warned, they have a serious kick, and on top of that, that beak can also be quite nasty.

I always find it strange because all the countries I've been to, Ostrich meat is quite expensive, and yet in South Africa, it's the cheapest meat you can buy. It's delicious by the way, but you need to prepare it as you would venison, and oh yes, there's no fat on the meat.

big_smile.png

My Dad did when he went to Costa Rica. He's about 6 foot. I wouldn't just jump on one, they probably have to be trained up a bit!

Back
Top Bottom