can you sex guinea keets at day one??

Yah, Guineas are built differently, you can't really tell if what you are looking at is what you are supposed to be looking at, lol.

JHorn, I'd have to say you have a special "gift" that's not at all common (wish I had it). You are the first person I've ever seen make the claims you've made. I've hatched somewhere around 1500-1600 keets, handled them all LOTS, thru the daily brooder cleaning, feeding, selling, even nursing a few that struggled and raised hundreds for myself... never have I been able to see ANY differences between them when they are young, lol. I have 62 2-3 day olds right now that I've been staring at all morning... I see no differences, just a bunch of happy spazzy zippy keets. Obviously I do not have your "gift", lol.

U know growing up I really thought everyone could do this and the people that asked me to do this for them were stupid or lazy lol. I realise now I have yet to meet anyone else that could and those I tried to teach didnt catch on at all. I am currently working on trying to teach a friend of mine. I will have to say it takes a certain person to b able to do this and she is the first one I met who seems to b as observent as I am and notices things most people dont so I have very high hopes she wil catch on quick with some practice. So hopfully by fall she can hop on here and b like omg I did it and this was my accurracy rate my fist year. I just know she will get it.

i was reading your story because i can sex chickens and was wondering if there was a way to sex guinea hens and if you would like to give the live web cam a try i would be willing to try it when mine hatch
big_smile.png

Thats neat I always guarrented mine and never had to correct any they were always what I sd they were. Hmm maybe I will look for a local hatchery to do this. oddly enough mom always suggested that but I kinda worry the hatchery wont believe me as I have had to prove many skeptics wrong over the years. i have been able to do this since I was 10 and now Im 31 and have still yet to b wrong once
WOW! That's great!
wish I could do that....

nice story too..

DUDE!!! If you can teach me how to do this I will split my first 5 years income with you. I am very observant and have a very keen eye for detail. If you can teach anyone to do this, it would be me.

I have no idea if that is true but you can tell by the peeps and squawks they make. The males will make a one tone sound where the females have a two tone sound that sounds somewhat like 'buckwheat'. I know I'm only a newish owner but this is coming from a very experienced friend that owns guineas also. This may not be an easy task until they are a month or two old though, because until that point their sounds may be all very familiar. :) hope this helps as it is much easier than trying to hold them to sex them, critters :)

they don't have a different call until they are much older. This dude claims he can tell them apart at a day or two old. I have been looking at some newly hatched keets for the past couple days and I believe I can see a difference. I would not know if what I am seeing is accurate until they are old enough to tell by their call and other identifying traits. I sure would like to talk with this JHorn dude.

LOL.. so I have a question! Actually lots of them, but... My first keets are three weeks old now. That is if they were one day when I picked them up! Any chance you would be willing to look at a video and make a quess on their sexes? I am hoping for a mix, but.. my luck they are all either hens or cocks. I have them in the house most of the time, but I do put them out on hot days in a pen just outside the kitchen door. I was told I had two piedes, one royal purple and she was not sure about the others. LOL, my guess is they are mixes!
VaLizzy

they don't have a different call until they are much older. This dude claims he can tell them apart at a day or two old. I have been looking at some newly hatched keets for the past couple days and I believe I can see a difference. I would not know if what I am seeing is accurate until they are old enough to tell by their call and other identifying traits. I sure would like to talk with this JHorn dude.

JHorn91180 hasn't visited the forum since Nov. 10, 2013. Your best chance of getting a response would be to PM JHorn91180 since most people get notified by email if they get a PM.

Back
Top Bottom