Can you stop a rooster from crowing

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
So my rooster just started crowing (technically he is a cockerel). He is nine months old and just started to mount the hens as well and for a young rooster he is a real gentleman. He woke my father up last night and i need to prevent that. And i know, I've heard all that stuff about how it's natural and you can't prevent it and i don't want to stop it. I just need to keep him from crowing at three in the morning. Rooster is a really good boy and i like having him around he warns the girls about hawks and finds them treats and i was really hoping to hatch some of his eggs this spring. so is there anything i can do to at least quiet him down.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_110035.jpg
    IMG_20171126_110035.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 91
I wouldn't worry about it too much, he probably won't make the night crowing a habit. I'm thinking either he heard something or light got in, you should probably go check your coop if he's doing it actually. The last time my roo went ham at night there was a deer scratching it's butt on the coop corner.:)

Try a rooster collar. I got mine from etsy for $13 and love it. I had to make it tighter than I was originally comfortable with but I always checked to make sure he was still eating and drinking within a few hours of putting it on.

Roosters will crow at any hour, however I don't usually hear mine at night (dark) unless they are disturbed by something or there is light coming from somewhere, even a bright moon can do it. If you have a window light or outdoor light that he can see, that could be the reason. Check the moon phase. Making it dark in the coop could help, if a light is the culprit you can maybe shield it, but you still need to allow plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Try a rooster collar. I got mine from etsy for $13 and love it. I had to make it tighter than I was originally comfortable with but I always checked to make sure he was still eating and drinking within a few hours of putting it on.
I've read about those and i think that's going to be worst case scenario. I don't think he'd do well with that because he was stuck in a crop bra for several months when he wad younger and all he did was pick at it. I figure that's what I'll end up using but i was hoping someone would have some old chicken wisdom.

You create a space within the coop or inside a shed or garage where it is completely dark, as in zero light coming in, and keep him in there at night until the morning so that he does not see light from the sky, this can keep him from crowing. if that doesn't work enough, then you can add insulation to the space to muffle the sound. I so wish we could have a rooster here but we live in suburbia and sound ordinances and chicken ordinances prevent it. we can't even have crowing during the day. I've considered getting a rooster de-crowed, as it's said to be a relatively minor surgery but I have not found a vet close by to do it. good luck!

Roosters do calm down as they get older. Mine is almost two and he has quieted down. Also after a while, you stop hearing it. That’s what happened to me, I rarely hear him crow and when I do, I love it.
Roosters crow for a couple reasons. They crow when they have been startled, to establish dominance over a rooster crowing in the distance, in response to a noise like crowing (singing for example), or just to let the world know they’re around. Mine often crows when he’s feeling happy or exhilarated. If you can figure out why your rooster crows so much (spending time with your birds can do wonders, I learned to speak chicken and can alert my rooster when I see a big bird so he can keep an eye on it, and it works!) you may be able to help tone it down a bit.
I do not agree with crow collars. They seem cruel to me, and are surely uncomfortable if the bird, and can and do cause strangling. I’m not beating done anyone who does use crow collars, I just don’t personally agree with it. Before getting a crow collar, I would look into rehoming him.
Good luck!

Roosters do calm down as they get older. Mine is almost two and he has quieted down. Also after a while, you stop hearing it. That’s what happened to me, I rarely hear him crow and when I do, I love it.
Roosters crow for a couple reasons. They crow when they have been startled, to establish dominance over a rooster crowing in the distance, in response to a noise like crowing (singing for example), or just to let the world know they’re around. Mine often crows when he’s feeling happy or exhilarated. If you can figure out why your rooster crows so much (spending time with your birds can do wonders, I learned to speak chicken and can alert my rooster when I see a big bird so he can keep an eye on it, and it works!) you may be able to help tone it down a bit. Good luck!
Thank you, he is the nicest bird in my flock and he saved on of my americanas from a hawk a few months back before he was even crowing or mating.

Back
Top Bottom