Can you stop a rooster from crowing

I wouldn't worry about it too much, he probably won't make the night crowing a habit. I'm thinking either he heard something or light got in, you should probably go check your coop if he's doing it actually. The last time my roo went ham at night there was a deer scratching it's butt on the coop corner.:)
They can see light from the road. I didn't hear him last night but i sleep pretty close to the coop and the lights from the road always keep me up. I'm planning to put in some blackout curtains later today and put up some insulation.

I have a young rooster who is crowing all the time too - night And day - had him about 2 weeks - am worried about the neighbours - i Think his coop is completely dark but going to see if I can find soMething to throw over it and turn off kitchen light at night- any more suggestions appreciated - he’s a black silkie

I know how you feel. You have a rooster and want to breed him. I've use the no crow collar. It does keep him from being very loud. Also I would go after him when he did crow. This helped him stay silent more. He made other sounds but the crowing is what I would respond to, so he learned it was a bad idea. The sound level is reduced and the further away you are the less you can hear them. Also if you have a lot of trees and hedges around, that could help dapper the sound.

Unless other people are close by, they should not be an issues if they can't hear him or think he is too far away.

hello... not sure how this board works? hope I'm typing in the right box? Yes, I guess I'm not too bright on how to use a discussion board... so I appreciate your patience.

My situation involves LOTS of feral / wild chickens and roosters. Too many to count. All swarming around my apartment building here in the Caribbean. My landlady and her husband are lovely people despite the fact that they both are low-functioning severe alcoholics. They view these feral chickens as their personal "pets" and are feeding them daily. This lovely couple are so drunk all day and every night that they pass out until the sun comes up... and therefore are not bothered by the incessant non-stop "crowing": (cockle-doodle-dooing) ALL night long. All the neighbors are complaining because of the "all-night ruckus" and some have had to move because of the harassment. Hard to go to work in the morning with little or no sleep! Before I too am forced to pack up and move... Is there anything that I can do to stop the roosters from crowing at all hours of the night? NOTE: I grew up on a farm so I get it. In fact, I actually enjoy hearing the rooster crow right before daylight.... but not ALL night long! Thanks in advance -

No, there's nothing you can do except catch and transport them far, far away or kill them, neither of which are options for you, I'd guess. And the fact that there's a bunch of roosters just makes it worse...they tend to egg each other on when it comes to crowing (no pun intended). Why not just put on some 'white noise', a fan or something, to drown them out to a reasonable level whenever you're trying to sleep? I work shift work and often have to sleep during the day so I get your problem. I'm also fine with my own multiple roosters meandering about outside while I sleep and crowing right under my bedroom window...as long as I have some white noise on to mellow them and other neighbourhood noises out. You do get used to 'em...

There are actually lots of 'sleep sounds' compilations online expressly to provide all sorts of white noise for sleeping, by the way, if you want to listen to something more interesting than a fan. My favourite is a steam train chugging through a thunderstorm, with lots of wind and rain. No crowing can compete with that!

hello... not sure how this board works? hope I'm typing in the right box? Yes, I guess I'm not too bright on how to use a discussion board... so I appreciate your patience.

My situation involves LOTS of feral / wild chickens and roosters. Too many to count. All swarming around my apartment building here in the Caribbean. My landlady and her husband are lovely people despite the fact that they both are low-functioning severe alcoholics. They view these feral chickens as their personal "pets" and are feeding them daily. This lovely couple are so drunk all day and every night that they pass out until the sun comes up... and therefore are not bothered by the incessant non-stop "crowing": (cockle-doodle-dooing) ALL night long. All the neighbors are complaining because of the "all-night ruckus" and some have had to move because of the harassment. Hard to go to work in the morning with little or no sleep! Before I too am forced to pack up and move... Is there anything that I can do to stop the roosters from crowing at all hours of the night? NOTE: I grew up on a farm so I get it. In fact, I actually enjoy hearing the rooster crow right before daylight.... but not ALL night long! Thanks in advance -
In my experience, when one would make a sound I would go after them. My rooster quickly learned it was a bad idea. But he still made crows from time to time.

The best thing I can think of is have a bar-b-que.

You say they are sleeping drunk at night. So you can go get the first noise maker you find in his sleeping spot and take him. Do this enough and the others will see you coming as a problem and hopefully learn making sound will get your response (to them a negative response). I use a fishing net on a pole from the fishing supply store to catch my hard to catch chickens.

Option two, get a dog.

Ear plugs are probably your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom