can you teach a goose not to bite

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
I had a very lonely male goose so I purchase an adult female and 2 - 1yr olds. So things went along fine for 3 weeks and then this weekend I had to take one of my Turkeys to the vet I went to pick him up and one of the 1 yr old greese bit me in the butt. I hoped it would be a one time thing but yesterday I walked out into the yard and it ran to attack me and would not stop so I picked it up and put it in a pin until I was done the I let the goose loose and hurried in the house. I have had geese for years and never had this happen although people told me geese were mean I never had one.

I would love to keep him or her but I can do with the attacks. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a very lonely male goose so I purchase an adult female and 2 - 1yr olds. So things went along fine for 3 weeks and then this weekend I had to take one of my Turkeys to the vet I went to pick him up and one of the 1 yr old greese bit me in the butt. I hoped it would be a one time thing but yesterday I walked out into the yard and it ran to attack me and would not stop so I picked it up and put it in a pin until I was done the I let the goose loose and hurried in the house. I have had geese for years and never had this happen although people told me geese were mean I never had one.

I would love to keep him or her but I can do with the attacks. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First you were wonderful to get you gander some gaggle friends. But since a gander he has adopted them and is protecting them now as his flock. The only thing you can do to keep him from coming after you to bite is grab him up and put him under your arm and hold him tight until he stops fighting. Then if he trys to bite you hold his beak closed and say no bite. Do not cover his nostrils just hold the end closed. You might have to do this several times for him to learn you are bigger than he is and will confine him which they hate......
Others will chime in to ad some of their ways as well....

RURU, thanks for giving me hope that I can stop this. The one that is attacking me is actually one of the 1 year olds not my gander. I have had my gander for a long time he is sweet. I will try as you say and hopefully we can come to terms.

It worked on my gander and he was a big biter. I wish you all the best in your training.
fl.gif

RURU, thanks for giving me hope that I can stop this. The one that is attacking me is actually one of the 1 year olds not my gander. I have had my gander for a long time he is sweet. I will try as you say and hopefully we can come to terms.

You are welcome TerriL. Geese need to learn respect for their human so make sure to make him respect you!

I have a young goose, he is for the most part sweet and he follows me everywhere. However when I try and pick him up or pet him he runs from me. When I do get my hands on him, he will be ok, but however when I put him in my lap he will lay down there and start trying to bite me, I am not holding him down as he lays on me on his own free will. But I am not sure if he is just trying to bite or he just doesn't know how hard he is nibbling on me. He is not flighty other then when I try and pet him or pick him up. Once he is on my lap however he'll let me pet him and stroke his head, but when I do he starts nibbling and hard. Is there a way to control that or is he just showing me affection he only does that to my hand however sometimes he gets pretty rough with those beak teeth he has. Its almost like he's trying to eat my finger cause he will put my fingers almost to the back of his mouth. I am also not sure on this run away behavior, I think he has associated the picking up with putting him in his pin. Thus he runs thinking I am going to put him away for the day.
Do I just need to teach him that he's nibbling to hard? And if so, how do I do that without hurting him or making him afraid of me. I am assuming that he's a he because he loves me and will have nothing to do with my husband who he used to love as much as me. Now when my husband goes to get him out, he runs to the back of the pin and wont come out. But as soon as he spots me he comes running to the front and practically jumps into my arms. So I know he's sweet and I know he loves me as well. How do I teach him that every encounter is not me wanting to put him up for the day? Anything from someone who knows geese and their psychology would be very helpful. I want him to be a sweety and not be so rough, and I really need him to be able to come to me in case something were to happen where I can check him out, instead of running away. My husband won't let me keep him inside either.

@Melbeforeyou Try picking him up and putting him right back down without fanfare! He probably is making an association of picking up = being put away, and you just have to make being picked up a normal thing that does not necessarily mean being put away.

I'm also dealing with a rough nibbler - I think it's a combo of boredom (they really do want something to 'do' at all times) and not realizing how rough they are. I just consistently take my hand away when they start biting. It's getting better.

My problem started after I began talking to one of my 10 week old goslings because it would come up to me and stare. This went on for a couple weeks and now he /she gets excited when I'm with them and gives me hard love bites. He/she talks constantly in a husky low raspy voice ,sex ?, and just wants to bite me all over, almost ignoring the other 2 geese. What is this ? No wing flapping or neck stretching . 🤔

Back
Top Bottom