Can you tell if Ameraucana chick is rooster?

jlgoinggreen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 25, 2009
South Central PA
Hi Everyone.... Is there a way of sexing an Ameraucana chick? I don't have any chicks yet, so no pics to show. I was just wondering because I have a bator full of hatching eggs and will soon have another bator full. I'd like to know if there is a way of sexing chicks so I know how many roosters/hens I have as soon as they are hatched.

Not really as SOON as they hatch, but at about 4-5 weeks the boys will have pink combs and the girls will still be pale. On the bantams, I have found width of comb on a hatchling to be helpful in "guessing" but not 100% reliable.
smile.png

When the first hatch there is a difference in the wing tips, look it up on youtube and find "Dirty Jobs" Chicken sexing.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm so anxious for them to hatch already. Wondering how many roos/hens I will get.
wink.png

Ah yes, the nemesis of hatchaholics everywhere!! LOL
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks. I'm so anxious for them to hatch already. Wondering how many roos/hens I will get.
wink.png

Ah yes, the nemesis of hatchaholics everywhere!! LOL
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
Yepers, but you don't know the half of it. Besides having a hova bator full of Ameraucanas, I also have a Brinsea Eco full of FBCMs. Then I have another batch of Ameraucanas hatching eggs coming in about 2 weeks.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
On top of that I've joined in on the Easter hatching and plan to hatch out a bunch of my EEs eggs. Now you can see in my avatar my poor husband is bald, now you know why.
gig.gif
lau.gif

I totally understand! My husband has gone crazy with incubating eggs and buying chicks. My daughter started last May with 3 chicks for the county fair. That started us into the Chicken Show industry. We started incubating in Dec with the first chicks arriving on Jan 2nd. We are on our 7th and 8th set of eggs in the incubators. I think we are at about 85 chicks right now. We have been busy trying to build houses for them as the first set of chicks are 8 weeks old. We will be posting pics hopefully tomorrow for help in identifying the chicks we bought this week at Atwoods that came from Ideal Hatchery. We have gone chick crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom