Can You Tell the Mix in an EE?

yes he is at the end. and i agree she should remorve and actually she stated not too long ago that she was because this has happened a few times. i wish she had told me that before otherwise i would not have gotten him. i paid $45 for the two. and at first she told me she would take back and exchange if he was a roo. i told her yup indeed he is now and then she tells me she cant take him back now. and hasnt offered to reimburse me either. she is a breeder and a seller. she knew i was very new at this, now im feeling she knew what she was doing to get rid of the males. im looking at the pic of their wings (now i know alittle more lol) and by their feathers i think u can tell the female to the male. if look closely he doesnt hv a second row. :(

You can't feather sex between the two as that has to happen in breeds that are feather sexable, and CL isn't one.

I'm sorry you've gotten mixed messages from the breeder. $45 for the two warrants a refund if she said she would replace...that unfortunately is the price of CL's in our area, but for 2nd generation OE's, which are mixed breed birds, that's a bit high.

I don't know where your are going with your little flock, but if you breed those two siblings together, you may get better auto-sexing in the offspring as the females would be single barred and the males double barred. You might recoop enough to be able to secure your own line of blue layers, especially, if I understand you right, the hen will be a pure CL? Bred back to her, you can refine towards the CL traits.

If it is noise control for the rooster, try using a no-crow collar. They really do work (after you've fiddled with them for a bit). My Barney wears one...roosters are legal where I am, but I don't want to anger the neighbors for noise (happier fence chats that way).

Just thoughts.
LofMc

Would u be able to tell me if my Wyandotte is a male or female? Im starting to think she may be a boy because she is so large. She is 6 weeks

Attachments

• Ollie.jpg
    Ollie.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 15
You can't feather sex between the two as that has to happen in breeds that are feather sexable, and CL isn't one.

I'm sorry you've gotten mixed messages from the breeder. $45 for the two warrants a refund if she said she would replace...that unfortunately is the price of CL's in our area, but for 2nd generation OE's, which are mixed breed birds, that's a bit high.

I don't know where your are going with your little flock, but if you breed those two siblings together, you may get better auto-sexing in the offspring as the females would be single barred and the males double barred. You might recoop enough to be able to secure your own line of blue layers, especially, if I understand you right, the hen will be a pure CL? Bred back to her, you can refine towards the CL traits.

If it is noise control for the rooster, try using a no-crow collar. They really do work (after you've fiddled with them for a bit). My Barney wears one...roosters are legal where I am, but I don't want to anger the neighbors for noise (happier fence chats that way).

Just thoughts.
LofMc

Just thoughts.
LofMc
Oh, i see with the CL's. Yes, its a bit high i thought too. Im starting to understand the whole 2nd gen and mixed and so on. i have a lot to learn! yes, i was told she is pure legbar, suppose to lay blue eggs and the OE and welsummer suppose to green eggs...well not no more, he is a boy. ohhh so if i breed the two, oh i see ;) i have been looking at the no crow collars but getting mixed feeling of them. i even read someone roo died because of it. im so nervous i will hurt or kill him but really would like to try it. thank u for replying to me

Oh, i see with the CL's. Yes, its a bit high i thought too. Im starting to understand the whole 2nd gen and mixed and so on. i have a lot to learn! yes, i was told she is pure legbar, suppose to lay blue eggs and the OE and welsummer suppose to green eggs...well not no more, he is a boy. ohhh so if i breed the two, oh i see ;) i have been looking at the no crow collars but getting mixed feeling of them. i even read someone roo died because of it. im so nervous i will hurt or kill him but really would like to try it. thank u for replying to me

Roosters that die from the no crow collar supposedly have happened...which is why you put in on looser at first (which he will try to back out of), watch, then over the next day, tighten, and watch closely for the next few hours to make sure he appears okay. Watch closely for the next several days.

My Barney wears his a bit looser, but it muffles his crow nicely, so I don't worry about it.

Check periodically to make sure no sores are developing from broken feathers, which can break from the friction with the collar. Tighten periodically, again watching very closely for a few hours, then over the next couple of days. I tend to leave the collar alone once it is working.

I figure if I kill the poor bird with the collar, while very sad, likely it was a far, far better outcome than he would have normally received (the crock pot).

My Barney has been cheerfully taking care of his girls, with collar, for several years now. :D
Good Luck
LofMc

Roosters that die from the no crow collar supposedly have happened...which is why you put in on looser at first (which he will try to back out of), watch, then over the next day, tighten, and watch closely for the next few hours to make sure he appears okay. Watch closely for the next several days.

My Barney wears his a bit looser, but it muffles his crow nicely, so I don't worry about it.

Check periodically to make sure no sores are developing from broken feathers, which can break from the friction with the collar. Tighten periodically, again watching very closely for a few hours, then over the next couple of days. I tend to leave the collar alone once it is working.

I figure if I kill the poor bird with the collar, while very sad, likely it was a far, far better outcome than he would have normally received (the crock pot).

My Barney has been cheerfully taking care of his girls, with collar, for several years now. :D
Good Luck
LofMc
oh i see. thank u for all the info. greatly appreciate it so much! do u know where is the best place to get the collar?

@countrysoul4

Nothing screaming roo, yet, on the Wyandotte. Wyandottes are larger birds, so I'm not surprised it is getting bigger than your CL's and OE's.

However, they mature more slowly, so you'll have to continue to watch this one.

Right now, I'm not seeing a large white block on the wing bows nor fleshy, red comb.

SLW lace in slowly, and can look uneven as they develop, but the girls will have lacing while the boys will have black and white color blocks on the back (a lot of white on the back and wings) and only lacing on the chest.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom