Can you tell when your Hens have stopped laying?

Pale combs and small wattles can also indicate poor health which would affect egg laying.

^
This hen is obviously ill. She was suffering from heavy metal poisoning. Removal of the metal (screw) and other therapy saved her life. She has earned the title, 'Worlds Most Expensive Chicken'.

However, note the color of Big Sister's comb and wattle. Due to her genetics she has very small comb and wattle. Since I know my flock so well (and seen her in the nest box on a regular basis) I know she's laying. Her nice color indicates she is healthy.

If you observe your flock and know your the general look of your hens you'll be able to tell who's doing what. It could be your entire flock is laying, but the older hens are not laying as many eggs as the younger gals. So, you now have to make the decision on who to cull. In this case, I'd cull the older hens. While they may still be laying, they won't be laying as much as the younger hens.

I have hens that just went through molting... intense molting! many of them have small combs to practically no combs at all. they are about 3 years old and I have a new bunch coming up soon but would like to make room and process a few of my gals as well. because they were molting they pretty much all went on strike and stopped laying so right now its really hard to tell who will continue and who will not... ive heard the color of their feet, or skin around their eye is an indicator ...

is it a breed thing to cause the diference in waddles and combs? bc my gals are a mixture not pure bred and each one has a very different looking profile.

Rabecca Ranaldi
www.ranaldifamilyfarm.com

Back
Top Bottom