Can you use an old microwave to build a hatcher or ncubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PAzoo, Aug 4, 2009.

1. PAzoo

PAzoo In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    Dover, PA
    Minus the micro elements [​IMG] Seriously - I have a large Microwave that needs to retire - it is no longer sealed... Has anyone tried making an incubator or a hatcher from a large microwave shell? Wouldn't it be insulated? It already has a window in the door.

All suggestions and How to advice is welcome. Thanks

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    what do you mean by. " it is no longer sealed" ?

I see no reason you could not make a hatcher or incubator out of it..

If it is large enough you could make a 2 shelf bator.. put 2 hovabator type egg turners in there and a heater and a fan and away you go..

You need about 16 x 16 inches to fit a turner in.. I am guessing.. If you really need to know, I would measure one and let you know..

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

[​IMG]

I once heard of someone using a microwave to "dry-off" their cat after a bath.

I suppose it worked pretty well for getting the cat dry, but apparently it "scared the cat to death" !!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a dog-lover,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. SpunkyTheMonkey

SpunkyTheMonkey King of the Intardnets

May 8, 2009
    Naoussa, Greece
    it would work...and once you rip the magnatron (sp?) and all the other junk out of it you have all that room for everything you need without taking up as much space inside the main bit for fans, bulbs etc

interesting idea! wish i had a dead microwave to play with now...

5. jafo

jafo Songster

May 2, 2009
    I used a microwave in Maine to dry out $450.00 in cash, after I took a dump in the Androscoggin River. Deer hunting, cold, warming up the stew, and burnt the faces right off the Franklins!!! You should have seen 'em laugh at the bank, a first they said!

6. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Just be sure you poke holes in the shells first or they'll explode. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think that's a great idea! Could the fan be used too? I don't know anything about incubators.
    I used to use an old chest freezer to store my horse feed. Kept the feed dry and non moldy and kept the mice out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: