can you use cedar shaving?

Cedar's the only thing I use - I raised my chicks on it after the first week, and I use it in my nestboxes. It's supposed to help repel insects.

I do have plenty of ventilation, even for the baby chicks. I probably wouldn't use it in one of those closed-up brooders, or if there wasn't enough ventilation in the coop. (If the coop smells like ammonia, then it doesn't have enough ventilation - in that case, throwing cedar on top would just make it worse.)

I would not be afraid of it for adult birds IF THE COOP IS PROPERLY VENTILATED. I would NOT use it for chicks in any circumstance.

gerry
cool.png

Cedar repels lice, mites, ticks and fleas. The problem is the same oils that repel these critters can cause reactions in all animal species. Some are just more sensitive to it than others. Some dogs in fact will get hot spots or skin ulcers, while others never have a problem with it. It is technically safe to use on most birds but there is a chance you will have a bad experiance with it.

You can. Some do, without problems. That said, there is (IMO) reasonable grounds to believe that cedar carries some extra risk compared to normal pine shavings, and even though actual PROBLEMS from it seem to be pretty rare at most, some people avoid it to be on the safe side.

It is probably fair to say that if you do elect to use cedar shavings you should be EXTRA certain that there is VERY AMPLE air exchange and ventilation, and chicks are going to be more at risk than adult birds all other things being equal.

Personally I'd use it if I had to but since I don't have to, I don't
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom