can you use cedar shaving?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by taprock, Jan 15, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I was given a big bag of cedar shavings to use in the coop. I have never heard of any one using cedar. Is it ok to use with the chickens and guineas?

2. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    I was told not to use cedar. Its good for dog bedding. I stick with pine shavings. Something in cedar supposedly makes the chickens sick.

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Most cedar is way too strong and is toxic to chicks. I wouldn't risk using it as bedding in your coop or brooder. Always better to be safe than sorry.

4. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I wouldn't use them for birds.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Cedar's the only thing I use - I raised my chicks on it after the first week, and I use it in my nestboxes. It's supposed to help repel insects.

I do have plenty of ventilation, even for the baby chicks. I probably wouldn't use it in one of those closed-up brooders, or if there wasn't enough ventilation in the coop. (If the coop smells like ammonia, then it doesn't have enough ventilation - in that case, throwing cedar on top would just make it worse.)

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    It can be toxic to the chicks, but seems like different people have different experiences. For safety, don't use it.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I would not be afraid of it for adult birds IF THE COOP IS PROPERLY VENTILATED. I would NOT use it for chicks in any circumstance.

gerry [​IMG]

8. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Cedar repels lice, mites, ticks and fleas. The problem is the same oils that repel these critters can cause reactions in all animal species. Some are just more sensitive to it than others. Some dogs in fact will get hot spots or skin ulcers, while others never have a problem with it. It is technically safe to use on most birds but there is a chance you will have a bad experiance with it.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You can. Some do, without problems. That said, there is (IMO) reasonable grounds to believe that cedar carries some extra risk compared to normal pine shavings, and even though actual PROBLEMS from it seem to be pretty rare at most, some people avoid it to be on the safe side.

It is probably fair to say that if you do elect to use cedar shavings you should be EXTRA certain that there is VERY AMPLE air exchange and ventilation, and chicks are going to be more at risk than adult birds all other things being equal.

Personally I'd use it if I had to but since I don't have to, I don't [​IMG]

Pat

10. Dandi_1987

Dandi_1987 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by