can you use fly traps indoors around ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Nov 17, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm having a fly issue at the moment... I think it started when joe gave them a pumpkin and they hid it and didn't finish it, so flies got to it. Now we have a bunch flying around their room, and it's only a matter a time before they get everywhere else. It seems cleaning out the entire pen and using sweet PDZ and mixing DE into their snacks hasn't helped much. I knoe fly paper is okay, but how you do guys feel about the "poison free" ones that come with an attractant?

Like these-

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Poison...8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1290020526&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M502-D...5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1290020764&sr=1-5

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Fly paper works, try Vanilla scented car air freshners. Works wonders. Flies hate the smell and they honestly do leave!!!

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I use those outdoors when we are in the "fly" season. Trust it is bad when they are out. The side of our house looks almost black when they are in full swing. That's how bad it gets here. The non toxic ones may be safe, but their stench is so bad that you want to throw up. I have a pretty strong stomach when it comes to those thing, and I have to say I have come close once or twice. My husband has a weak stomach and has thrown up a couple of times. The sticky strips don't seem to work. The blue light ones work ok, but they are not that great either. Many of the ones with poison work well, but I would not use them indoors or with living things around them.
    My duck house seems to be relatively free of flies. I only use pine shavings and clean it out daily. I let it dry out completely and refresh with shavings in the afternoon.

4. katharinad

Quote:I've heard that laundry softener sheets work. Haven't tried it.

5. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Nothing works better on flies than a couple of muscovy ducklings. Adults are great fly catchers, too, but ducklings are so full of energy that all the do for the whole day is snatch flies out of the air.

Muscovy ducklings are also more entertaining to watch than fly paper.

Edited to remove "And taste better." Since I just caught who made the post and severely doubt any additions to the household would end up as the guest of honor at the dinner table [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    I always use those flystrips that come in little canisters and hang down in a twirly ribbon. It takes a little while but the more that get stuck on it draw in more flies to the paper, if that makes sense. Just don't walk into it and get your hair caught up in that sticky goop. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I found some fly traps that are bright yellow and sticky, with lots of sides. Think of an asterisk - * - the spokes fan out from the center of a flat circle top and bottom. More space for flies to stick to it. NO odor, just sticky. Far better than the fly strips, because you don't get caught in 'em with the flies. It kinda bops against you and then away.

...bad enough to walk into a fly strip when it's brand new, but ewwwwww! when it's full of flies!

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I think I had the most smart and resistant flies ever.....

I have a bug zapper in the room.... no luck
    I got a light that has a glue board behind it, some luck but barely makes a dent....
    I got vanilla scented air fresheners (heard they hate them) but nothing...
    Got the glue paper, but it's in stick form.... neither has any lies stuck to it
    I also MADE a fly trap with a 2 liter bottle, and added some sugary soda and some duck poop, NO LUCK

Dang these stupid flies.... nothing works on them! Despite cleaning everything multiple times, they just won't die out. I'm not even sure what kind of fly they are. They don't look like house flies (too small) but don't look like fruit flies ether... they can grow a bit bigger than fruit flies, are brown in color for the most part, and they love to hang out on the ceilings... ugh I hate flies!!!!

We don't really have anywhere to hang the ribbons that wouldn't get us or the ducks stuck in them.... At least not until the new pen is ever done... Space is tight at the moment...

10. katharinad

Have you tried the sticky triangles for moths? We have some flies our here that will not go for the fly traps, but they go for the moth traps. There is some kind of thermone (sp?) they put on to these sticky triangles they love. It actually comes in a flat cardboard and you fold it into a triangle with the sticky stuff inside of it. You can hang them up. Another thing you can try is flea carpet sprays. They are pet safe and contain a grows regulating hormone like Precor. It's kind of birth control for bugs and the dose is so low that it will not effect ducks. The bugs don't die when in contact with it, they just cannot reproduce and eventually die of old age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by