Duck with bumblefoot

Daisy and Daffy

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Hi, so my 8 month old white layer duck Daffy has what I suspect is bumblefoot.
She's still foraging, eating, drinking, and sleeping.
She walks with a slight limp and doesn't seem too keen on standing on it, either. She stands on 1 leg most of the time.
She has 2 small bumps with a small dark brownish grey circle, and I'm going to soak her foot with epsom salts, but I'm unsure how often to do this. I'm also going to spray her foot with this product, and not let her swim.
Should I stop letting her free range too, and keep her in the pen all day?

Hi, so my 8 month old white layer duck Daffy has what I suspect is bumblefoot.
She's still foraging, eating, drinking, and sleeping.
She walks with a slight limp and doesn't seem too keen on standing on it, either. She stands on 1 leg most of the time.
She has 2 small bumps with a small dark brownish grey circle, and I'm going to soak her foot with epsom salts, but I'm unsure how often to do this. I'm also going to spray her foot with this product, and not let her swim.
Should I stop letting her free range too, and keep her in the pen all day?
It might be useful to post photos of the suspected bumblefoot.

Soaking in epsom salts is good treatment for bumblefoot to soften and soak off scab or draw out pus. Treating the open and cleaned wound with antibiotic cream or spray is also good treatment. you can protect an open wound by making little boots with a dressing and duct tape

I don't think you should use the spray until the wound is open and the cleaned out. I haven't had a duck with bumblefoot ["touch wood"] and so I cannot tell you how often to soak the foot.

I think it is good practice to have a duck first aid kit prepared that contains all the above for treating bumblefoot [I put one together when I mistakenly thought one of our ducks had bumblefoot] It gives peace of mind to know the kit is on had if needed.

Haha, that must have been scary but then relieving. Daffy is fine now after 2 soaks, thankfully!
My duck is also called Daffy. He is a muscovy and a bit of a gender bender. I thought he was female when I was hand rearing him as a duckling because he grew along the expected growth line for female muscovies. But he didn't stop growing for weeks and is now huge and physically obviously male. He is mostly silent but occasionally huffs and puffs like a male Muscovy. But he also likes preening my other muscovy drake and likes napping during the day with his head and neck extended across the other drakes shoulders. I still think of him as female and find myself referring to him as her and she.

Back
Top Bottom