Duck bumblefoot help

Ape1

Hatching
Aug 1, 2023
Noticed my duck limping today and noticed her foot swelled up and this was on the bottom of her foot
this is clearly bumblefoot right?

Attachments

• DUCK2.PNG
    DUCK2.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Poor girl! That looks like a pretty bad case of bumblefoot! There's another thread here with a very similar looking bumble if you'd like to check that out! I would recommend taking them to the vet, but if you don't want to, soak the feet in warm water with epson salt for twenty-ish minutes. You can remove the scab after and squeeze the puss out after drying it! Make sure not to touch the actual spot, it may be infected or contagious. Another great article is here. I hope your duck feels better! Bumblefoot sucks :(

Poor girl! That looks like a pretty bad case of bumblefoot! There's another thread here with a very similar looking bumble if you'd like to check that out! I would recommend taking them to the vet, but if you don't want to, soak the feet in warm water with epson salt for twenty-ish minutes. You can remove the scab after and squeeze the puss out after drying it! Make sure not to touch the actual spot, it may be infected or contagious. Another great article is here. I hope your duck feels better! Bumblefoot sucks :(
thanks for the advice!

That is a progressed bumblefoot. There are lots of threads on BYC about how to deal with it and I suggest you just spend time reviewing some of them to get ideas. But start soaks in warm epsom salt water right away to start softening the scab. Make sure you have 1 inch vet wrap, gauze pads, triple antibiotic ointment (not the pain free type), vetricyn wound spray, and I would also recommend this epsom salt drawing salve: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...=&crid=VN3LWI2JBS1J&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt+p

Also start considering where you will keep her, with a friend, in an area where she will keep her bandaged foot dry during healing.

Also, you might check all your ducks feet - I try to do it every couple of weeks. If you catch them small, they're a lot easier to care for.
Thanks for the advice! yeah we've had a small flock of 5 peking ducks for 3 years now and and I've never had trouble with bumble foot before so honestly it wasn't even on my mind to check their feet. I checked all of their feet and another one has it but its not too bad
Again, thanks for the advice

Yes on the bumblefoot.
Separate her. Make sure her bedding is soft and super clean.
Soak her feet in warm water + Epsom salt baths 2-3x a day. Don’t let her drink the salt bath water - give her a clean drinking container next to the soaking tub so she has a spot to drink while you hold her in the “tub”.
Try to work off the “scabs” off her feet after soaks.
If you can’t get them loose, you may have to cut them out/ take her to the vet.
If the vet is not an option, get the scabs off and look around here - or YouTube -for how to cut out the scabs and / or make boots for a duck.
She will heal much more quickly if you can get those scabs removed and then wrap her feet.
Spray w vetricyn after the scabs are loose or removed, and her feet are pretty dry. You can also use (without the pain meds) neosporin/ triple antibiotic after the vetricyn has dried, and before you wrap her feet up.

Bumblefoot is a pain. For you- and more so for her. But it is an infection.
So. Not the fault of her immune system per se, or her.
What type of footing is she on during “normal” days?
Is she free ranging? In a yard?
And how often do you clean it?
(Not judging- just trying to help!)

Back
Top Bottom