Does this duck have Bumblefoot or...?

DaphneDuck5

Hatching
Dec 1, 2016
North Carolina
Ok so I checked my ducks feet yesterday because I noticed a dark spot and found what was pictured below.
I probably sound dumb for asking because the answer is probably simple but she doesn't limp, it's not inflamed when I touch it, and she acts just fine. Today I removed as much of the dark tissue as possible after soaking her foot in Espom salt for 15 mins. I then used colorless iodine and Poultry Care Vetericyn. She's wrapped up and still acting as if nothing is wrong.
Could this be a callus or something else? As I scraped I just saw what looked like normal skin underneath it for a short while before the foot started bleeding.
Please post your opinions! I plan to keep cleaning and treating it until I take her to the vet!

Last edited:
I would put triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller on the spot, it looks like a bumble to me. Glad you are getting her to the vet. Feel free to post over on the Duck Forum.

I know this was several years ago, but my duck currently has this and I’ve found nothing online that can tell me what it is or how to treat it. What did you find out? If you can remember.

My duck has this too. It doesn’t look like when my chickens had bumblefoot. It’s fleshy. I’ll see what my vet says. I’m curious what your vet said.

I know this was several years ago, but my duck currently has this and I’ve found nothing online that can tell me what it is or how to treat it. What did you find out? If you can remember.
What did your duck end up having? Mine has the same, and I’m not convinced it’s Bumblefoot!

Looks like bumble to me. If a veterinarian is not an option, then soak their feet in very warm water for fifteen to twenty minutes. The water is the right temperature when you put your hand and entire wrist in it, leave it there for a couple minutes and although hot, is not painful to the inside of your wrist (kind of like testing a baby bottle's temperature). Add Epson salt to the water only if you will ensure that they're not drinking it (it will cause diarrhea if consumed). Once the soak time has been reached, and while wearing vinyl, neoprene or even dishwasher's gloves, briskly, yet gently dry off the foot with an old terry rag. Wearing gloves is important for YOUR health, as bumblefoot is often septic, and can be transferred from one species to another. The nap of the fabric will assist in lifting an edge of the scab so that you can get to the kernel of pus underneath. If you're successful at removing the scab this way, give the pus pocket a firm squeeze, with the pressure concentrated under the pocket and guiding the kernel to the open wound.
Wishing you the best of luck in a successful resolution.

Back
Top Bottom