Is this Bumblefoot?? Raised/long scales on both feet

Lalachickens

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hello!

One of my Bresse pullets is limping and holding up one foot. We took a look at her feet after soaking them about a week and a half ago, and didn't see anything that we immediately recognized as bumblefoot, more like the scales on the edges of the pads of her feet are raised or ... long? She started holding up her right foot yesterday (and it was shaking a bit, but it's quite cold here right now), so we brought her in and did an Epsom salt soak, then had a poke. We found one tiny dark spot that removed easily (like the size of a grain of salt), but otherwise, she just seems to have these strange discolored scales on the edges of her pads. Is this a form of bumblefoot? Our only experience involved a "classic" case. For now, we have put some Polysporin (without pain meds in it) on her pads and wrapped them. She's still holding up her foot today...

Generally, we maintain a very high level of hygeine in the coop, they do have to jump down from their roosts, and we use sand inside and outside the coop.

Advice/input is welcome!

Her right foot - this is the foot she is holding up:
2C03D677-AE6C-495E-A6E0-9B71F7647D28_4_5005_c.jpeg

Her left foot - not the side she is holding up, but looks similar:
7F7BC575-D5FB-4A78-9C5E-CA099EB7A87F_4_5005_c.jpeg

My husband (who did the poking) said that the long/raised dark scales feel firmer. He trimmed them a bit yesterday on the left foot.

If this is bumblefoot - what should we attempt to remove?

Thank you!

Raised scales on feet and legs usually mean scaly leg mites, but I only see that in that one spot. Is it hot to the touch? Usually bumblefoot has a black scab, is generally hard and warm/hot to the touch. That tiny black spot might have been a scab and this is the start of it though.

Without knowing for sure, I think I'd put some drawing cream on it, like PRID, and see if that does anything in a couple of days.

I would also supplement vitamins in case she's fighting an infection. We use Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell.

I think that is hyperkeratosis, I had a pullet with that a few years ago, she was in discomfort but seemed to improve with treatment. Here is the link to my long rambling post and all the helpful advice people gave. Starki still has some thickened areas but they don't seem to slow her down and she no longer seems to be bothered by them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-bumble-foot-on-a-4-wk-chick.1458034/#post-24296301

I did some colloidal silver soaks, used neosporin and kept her feet wrapped for about 2 weeks. It is potentially an immune response, so also look into what you can do to boost her immune system as well. Probiotics, vitamins, good feed, check out Nubiotic as well.

Nubiotic 4X Concentrate Oregano Oil for Chickens & Turkeys - 8oz / 237ml https://a.co/d/5bcg5ms

I think that is hyperkeratosis, I had a pullet with that a few years ago, she was in discomfort but seemed to improve with treatment. Here is the link to my long rambling post and all the helpful advice people gave. Starki still has some thickened areas but they don't seem to slow her down and she no longer seems to be bothered by them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-bumble-foot-on-a-4-wk-chick.1458034/#post-24296301

I did some colloidal silver soaks, used neosporin and kept her feet wrapped for about 2 weeks. It is potentially an immune response, so also look into what you can do to boost her immune system as well. Probiotics, vitamins, good feed, check out Nubiotic as well.

Nubiotic 4X Concentrate Oregano Oil for Chickens & Turkeys - 8oz / 237ml https://a.co/d/5bcg5ms
I have never heard of this so read your thread. I'm sure glad you saw this post so could share your experience as it sounds like it's a possibility that's what this is.

Thanks @Debbie292d ! and @2ndTink

I just soaked her again, and re-applied polysporin... I couldn't tell if it was hot since I was wearing gloves, but it definitely looks a bit cleaner and clearer today.

@2ndTink I just finished reading your post - and yes, I suspect this is exactly what we are dealing with! Thank you for reaching out - I really appreciate it! I will order in some Colodial Silver (can you be really specific about how you did the soaks? How much CS/water and for how long and how often?). Did you end up using the Tuf-foot?

I can definitely give them some vitamins in their water, I have them on electrolytes for the next couple of days because we had a drop temperature-wise. We only do good feed and any treats we give them are nutritionally beneficial (high protein for the winter).

I have never heard of this so read your thread. I'm sure glad you saw this post so could share your experience as it sounds like it's a possibility that's what this is.
The things our chickens help us learn... lol

Thanks @Debbie292d ! and @2ndTink

I just soaked her again, and re-applied polysporin... I couldn't tell if it was hot since I was wearing gloves, but it definitely looks a bit cleaner and clearer today.

@2ndTink I just finished reading your post - and yes, I suspect this is exactly what we are dealing with! Thank you for reaching out - I really appreciate it! I will order in some Colodial Silver (can you be really specific about how you did the soaks? How much CS/water and for how long and how often?). Did you end up using the Tuf-foot?

I can definitely give them some vitamins in their water, I have them on electrolytes for the next couple of days because we had a drop temperature-wise. We only do good feed and any treats we give them are nutritionally beneficial (high protein for the winter).
It might just be something funky that she has to deal with her whole life, but I'm sure you will find the right method that helps either completely heal it, or keep it comfortable for her.

I did straight colloidal silver, I used a 2 chicken feet sized jam lid and put a few dropperfuls so it was maybe 1/16" deep of liquid. Have her stand in it for a few minutes, or dunk alternating feet if she's not wanting to stand. I just tried to keep them wetted for a few minutes, then I'd let her air dry for awhile. It was a balance between wanting her to have a good soak, and not wanting to wrap wet feet. You can feed her colloidal silver too, I've used some homemade bread, a little pinch, just enough to fully soak up the colloidal silver and let them eat that. Does it help? I'm not sure, but does it hurt, nope, lol.

I think I used some bag balm too, to try and keep the growths soft. Some of the longer growth I trimmed with some scissors.

I didn't use the Tuf-foot.

It sounds like they have good nutrition, that always is a big help! Our chickens eat healthier than we do, I won't let my chickens have store-bought bread but we used to 🤣

If I missed anything please feel free to ask, my brain kinda scatters everywhere 🤣

Thanks! And did the growths go away/fall off/you cut them off completely, or just kind of soften up and don’t bother her anymore?

They just kinda dried up and stopped growing, but she does have a thickened spot still, but it isn't growing the hair like cuticles anymore and just stays the same size.

Gotcha! Ok thank you! We will see how the next couple of weeks go! I appreciate your help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom