Can you use lavender Orpington for autosexing?

Sep 25, 2022
Can I use a lavender Orpington cockerel for the solid plumaged bird for making an autosexing breed? Would it be too light? I’m wanting to experiment with autosexing genetics and this idea came to mind. Any answers?

You could use it for barred sexlinks. Lavender Orpington over barred Plymouth Rock gives you barred males and black females. But no autosexing breeds are solid colored, so I’m not sure what you mean about that.

You could use it for barred sexlinks. Lavender Orpington over barred Plymouth Rock gives you barred males and black females. But no autosexing breeds are solid colored, so I’m not sure what you mean about that.
I mean for the solid colored rooster that is used over a barred hen. When you make an autosexing breed you breed a solid male with a barred hen and then breed the barred male offspring with solid females. I was just wondering if they’d be too light for the autosexing to work.

I mean for the solid colored rooster that is used over a barred hen. When you make an autosexing breed you breed a solid male with a barred hen and then breed the barred male offspring with solid females. I was just wondering if they’d be too light for the autosexing to work.
You're confusing the terms "autosex" and "sex link"

A sex link is a hybrid that is the result of mating the solid bird over the barred bird, and it will only work in the first generation.

Autosex is a breed that can be sexed at hatch as part of the genetics of that specific breed (meaning you're not mating 2 different breeds together to have the ability to sex at hatch)

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2019/01/auto-sexing-versus-sex-linked-hybrid-breeds/

For example:

Cream Legbar is an autosexing breed.

Red/Black Star are sex link hybrids.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Thays sexlinking

The chicks will all be black because the barred hen isn't lavender

and then breed the barred male offspring with solid females. I was just wondering if they’d be too light for the autosexing to work.
This isn't how to make autosexing birds.
Also lavender is recessive so unless the offspring are getting a gene from both sides they won't be lavender so you won't have the worry about them being too light.

Back
Top Bottom