Can you wire a pc fan to a hovabator ?

Youngfamily1989

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Tennessee City
I have a pc fan I want to wire in my bator. It has a red and blue wire. Can somebody look at their hovabator and tell me where the wires from the fan are going to ? Does the air flow blow strait down or does it pull from the bottom ? I'm doing good like it is I just cleaned it out I hatched 38 out of 46 thats 82% I'm happy with that but I want this fan in there for the circulation.

Thanks, Brian

I do not think you can wire it on the same electricity supply at the bator. The fan is only 12 volt and the bator 240. (It might differ slightly there) Use a pc power supply (or something similar) and run it directly from there.

Most commenly folks let the fan blow across the lights, not the eggs. if you want to let the fan work properly you need to mount it slightly away from the wall of the bator. (circulation)

Good luck!

Brian, If I remember correctly, I believe the manufacturer web site (GQF) has instructions on installing a fan. That may be helpful. We installed a pc fan on a Little Giant once and it worked well, but I have no idea how dh did it. It was very noisy and seemed to dry out the water wells too fast, so we had to add water daily. Otherwise, it did what it was supposed to..circulate the air better.

Jody

I too just tried to install a 3.5/3.5" computer fan that was wired for 110v, so I could just plug it into the socket. I put it in after I stabilized my bator to 100. The next day my bator was at 106!!!! I tried to adjust the temp, but couldn't get it down.
I later pulled the fan out and found that is the problem. The fan itself was running at 115 degrees, so it was acting like a constant heat source. 6 hours after removing the fan, the bator was down below 99 and I had to raise the temp and by the night I got it stabilized again at 100.
The problem could be I used a 110v fan, which I would assume would run hotter and faster than a 12v. Or maybe it is because I used an oversized fan. The one that comes with LG is a little over an inch and half.
So I am back to still air.
I have had more problem with getting ready for this hatch. First the fan adventure, then I got that fixed. Then my turner stopped turning, couldn't figure that out so it is turn by hand. Then the batteries on my thermo/hygrometer went dead and I had to drive 25 miles into town to get a new little button battery. Lucklily my eggs just got here yesterday, so they are sitting getting climitized and I think all my problems that can go wrong are worked out. I'm set for setting tomorrow.

Cory

Hi all Y'all!
What most of y'all are missing is one salient point in all this...and it has very little to do with the voltage per se. The incubator runs on Alternating Current(AC), the pc fan runs on Direct Current(DC). A Logysis 480 watt 12 volt DC 110/220 VAC Power supply costs $9.99 and a Cool Master 80mm 1500 RPM 17.16 CFM 12 VDC with Molex connector case fan will set you back $5.00. The power supply and most computer and 12 VDC systems(like your car) use Molex connectors. You try your fav computer joint but I use www.newegg.com (no kidding,really!). Use a dremel or other suitable high speed rotary tool with a tungsten bit to route a hole for the case fan. A hole may damage the plastic housing or slip when it's ready to punch through and go too far and damage something on the inside? Hope this helps? Message me if you need further explanation or help. All y'all take care!

Last edited:
I asked dh what he used. He said he used a 12v computer fan with a power adaptor to get the voltage down. It was plugged in separately and not wired directly into the bator wiring. I hope this helps some.

Jody

Thanks everybody, before I looked at any replies I installed the fan and it flashed like a flash bulb!
ep.gif
Smoked up the whole room, the wife was hollering at me what the H*** you trien to do....burn down the house or letricute yourself. :thun Shooot I knew what I was do en, I just.....wanted to see what would happen.
he.gif
I think I will leave like it is and just ad a turner the temps are very consistant as a still air.

Thanks everybody, Brian

darn! I like tinkering in my workshops,especially the electronics+electrical shops! I have my college degrees in engineering and mathematics; I spent 24 yrs in the military tinkering and making neato cool stuff.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom