Canadian Goose in Distress

jumpierfrog

Hatching
Apr 20, 2021
Hi there, I found your forum by mistake and hope that someone here may know what these signs of distress in a goose mean. There is a mated pair of Canadian Geese that have been nesting in the atrium of our building for the last 3 years. Its enclosed, private, open to the air, has a nice garden and not very many people use as it is close to the roof. Generally when the geese are in residence everybody stays out of the area. I work in building operations and when I got on shift today I was called and told that one of the geese was in distress and flapping around, I found the female stretched out on her back while her partner just watched her. I was able to touch her and she didn't seem to have any broken limbs or wings. I tired to set her on her feet but she wouldn't get her feet under her and just kept rolling on to her back. She seemed pretty weak She did bite me twice but it wasn't as hard as I know they can bite. Her mate did not try to protect her and let me try help her. Not sure what I should do. I have called a wildlife rescue group but its going to be awhile before they can send someone over. Any ideas or thoguhts on anything I can do to help her out?

Interesting post. Are you settling she is in distress? I ask because we have a Canadian Goose nesting in top of a shipping container at my work right now. Due to her open beak and drooling, I thought she was in distress, but everyone told me she knows what she’s doing and leave her alone. I take a peek at her every couple days and she seems fine... they were right!

Do you think there is any chance your goose might be acting to distract you from a nest?

Back
Top Bottom