Canadians check in here....

St. John's, Newfoundland.
Hoping to hear from others in the Avalon region but also curious of anybody on the island that might breed/raise Chanteclers.

Some very beautiful country. Gros Morne Park, just south of Parsons Pond, has some great hiking trials with some amazing views. Be sure to dress for all seasons! Good luck with the Moose hunt and enjoy your trip here.

Northern Ontario! Powassan to be exact..

I have kept chickens off and on in other places..have had them here at our place in Powassan since 2010 now. and enjoying our small mixed flock. We have EEs, Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons, Plymouth Barred Rock, and a few more.

Last edited:
We are up to 30 of our own chickens, and 10
Of MIL's, due on the 20th. 20 -25 of those will be kept over winter (depends what I get in my unsexed batch). DH came around pretty quick to insulating the coop, but we were debating the merits of insulating the whole underside, and creating and using insulated skirting, to insulate the whole underside of the coop we would have to tilt it up,insulate and sheet the whole thing.

Of MIL's, due on the 20th. 20 -25 of those will be kept over winter (depends what I get in my unsexed batch). DH came around pretty quick to insulating the coop, but we were debating the merits of insulating the whole underside, and creating and using insulated skirting, to insulate the whole underside of the coop we would have to tilt it up,insulate and sheet the whole thing.
Using a deep litter method (DLM) will help with that floor insulation & won't cost you much at all. You can mix in pine shavings, some dirt from your garden, grass, a bit of wood ash, etc. Some keep it 8-10" deep or more. You can rake it all out come spring, compost or put directly in your garden beds. Cheap & excellent fertilizer. :)

Or insulate it the cheaper way, skirt it with plastic or some similar substance. Cheap way to do what you're talking about for the under side anyway.

Back
Top Bottom