Canadians check in here....

This is interesting to read - if this is true - why on earth does Poultry Swap Ontario still have them listed on their website as a place to get chickens from?? Seems to me like websites should take SOME responsibility in businesses they advertise.

Any chance their is an update on this? I have a friend who got her chickens from there - she was happy with them (all healthy and in good shape). She did not know about their possible past with the puppy mill though so I have let her know about this.

I spoke with a lady named Danielle. She seemed knowledgeable ... and she has some beautiful breeds but I obviously don't want to get my chickens from a place like that if the above is true. We were hoping to pick up chicks this weekend.

Quote:
Um, what/who exactly are you referring to? I checked the posts from a page back and couldn't find anything that you might have been referencing. It would be useful to others if you quoted the post you are replying to.

Hi everyone - I am trying to find a hatchery or small chicken breeder in Ontario (it can be outside Ontario if it is not too far). I live in Curran (Alfred/Plantagenet) area. I am VERY ethically conscious though so would like a place well know and well reputed. Unfortunately I have heard good and bad reviews from just about every place.

It seems like smaller farms that are doing right don't advertise very well.

-Freys Hatchery - good and bad reviews (I also find their variety very limited - we don't want your average hen. We would like special breeds)

-Performance Poultry - some good and bad reviews but unfortunately now closed for their "season".

-DC Heritage Poultry - apparently they used to operate under the puppy mill Paws R Us? That was upsetting especially since I got their information from the Poultry Swap website. You would think that a business would only advertise another business that was good. Please help?! We would really like to start on our flock this month as currently my boyfriend is not working so it's ideal timing.

Hi everyone - I am trying to find a hatchery or small chicken breeder in Ontario (it can be outside Ontario if it is not too far). I live in Curran (Alfred/Plantagenet) area. I am VERY ethically conscious though so would like a place well know and well reputed. Unfortunately I have heard good and bad reviews from just about every place. 

It seems like smaller farms that are doing right don't advertise very well.

-Freys Hatchery - good and bad reviews (I also find their variety very limited - we don't want your average hen. We would like special breeds)

-Performance Poultry - some good and bad reviews but unfortunately now closed for their "season".

-DC Heritage Poultry - apparently they used to operate under the puppy mill Paws R Us? That was upsetting especially since I got their information from the Poultry Swap website. You would think that a business would only advertise another business that was good. Please help?! We would really like to start on our flock this month as currently my boyfriend is not working so it's ideal timing.

What kind of specialty breeds are you looking for?

Here is a link for the only person I know has Sicilian Buttercups, I think she ships hatching eggs. http://threegablesfarm.com/

Two breeders in Ontario for Isbars http://poultrytheme.poultryswapontario.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=443

Hope this helps for a couple of them
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom