Canadians check in here....

Hi everyone - I am trying to find a hatchery or small chicken breeder in Ontario (it can be outside Ontario if it is not too far). I live in Curran (Alfred/Plantagenet) area. I am VERY ethically conscious though so would like a place well know and well reputed. Unfortunately I have heard good and bad reviews from just about every place.

It seems like smaller farms that are doing right don't advertise very well.

-Freys Hatchery - good and bad reviews (I also find their variety very limited - we don't want your average hen. We would like special breeds)

-Performance Poultry - some good and bad reviews but unfortunately now closed for their "season".

-DC Heritage Poultry - apparently they used to operate under the puppy mill Paws R Us? That was upsetting especially since I got their information from the Poultry Swap website. You would think that a business would only advertise another business that was good. Please help?! We would really like to start on our flock this month as currently my boyfriend is not working so it's ideal timing.
I have also found Skara Brae Farms which carries a lot of these heritage breeds http://www.skarabraefarms.com/

Anyone have any experience with them?

@ Back2Roots (Jaye) I think TropBeaucoup may be referring to D.C. Heritage Poultry in Shawville QC.

I didn't know that PSO had them listed in their breeders section???
Sorry - it was not Poultry Swap that had them listed - it was Canadian Breeders Online. My mistake. I did see a thread though on Poultry Swap saying to stay away from DC Heritage

Sorry - it was not Poultry Swap that had them listed - it was Canadian Breeders Online. My mistake. I did see a thread though on Poultry Swap saying to stay away from DC Heritage
That's what I thought - I don't recall ever seeing them in the Breeders section: Poultry Swap Ontario would never knowingly allow disreputable breeders to advertise on their site.

I have also found Skara Brae Farms which carries a lot of these heritage breeds http://www.skarabraefarms.com/

Anyone have any experience with them?
Yes I have dealt with Skara Brae several times, she is great to deal with
thumbsup.gif

Yes I have dealt with Skara Brae several times, she is great to deal with
thumbsup.gif

Oh good!! She responded to my email and seems very nice. Unfortunately I am a bit late in the year it seems for every breeder though haha. But I am glad to hear positive feedback. I really want to get our stock from a good breeder and not some big business trying to make a buck.

Back
Top Bottom