Canadians check in here....

Any other British Colombians here? Yee-haww!
From Princeton BC.
welcome-byc.gif

welcome fellow Canadians! come check out Poultry Swap Ontario where its soooo easy to connect with local poultry keepers!

Welcome. I am not from NS but from Ontario. This is a great website and I have learned much about my newly started endeavour. I have only 3 hens as pets but "my pets make me breakfast
1f60a.png
" Jeanette from Harmony, Ontario.

Hi Jeanette. Whereabouts is Harmony? It wouldn't by any chance be south of Ottawa near Vernon, would it?

Hi everyone! I live in south western Manitoba. I purchased 10 Americauna's and 10 Shavers the end of May. Just put them into their permanent coop last night! Hoping to find other Manitobans to swap info with and always searching for new info. Love this site!

Im from BC! Just wondering- has anybody here used Beau Peep hatchery? I'm thinking of getting my chicks there and I want to hear about others experiences.

I have not used Beau Peep but i know they are not a hatchery. They buy from other hatchery's and resell the chicks. I looked at their website and the prices are very very high.
I got chicks from Rochester Hatchery in Alberta, not sure if they ship to the island. Hope this helps you out.

Hello all.

So I've read quite a bit over the last couple months on here and just recently signed up. Lately I have been really questioning where my food comes from and what's been done to it. In the the last six months I have built an aquaponics system in my basement(almost ready to start producing) to grow alot of my greens. I also originally looked into backyard chickens but found out they are not allowed as I live in a town that doesn't allow them. While researching chickens I came across quail with there small foot print I figured I'd try them indoors.
I understand bird poop smells but I have a nice little cubby in my basement right by where the dryer used to be. I plan to install a bathroom fan right beside the cages and I also have a air purifier that I plan to set up right there as well. My plan is to keep 14 birds in three cages. Two cages 24x24 will house one male three females each and a third 24x36 will house another six females strictly for eggs. This should give me the ability to raise the occasional batch for meat and the rest of the time produce near a dozen eggs a day. Going to run half jumbo half Texas a&m. As of tonight I've had four hatch and waiting on the rest.
While I've been working on this a lady aproached our city council and challenged the bylaw and the city went for it. If it is not legal yet it will be in the very near future. I have been talking with the lady and they will apparently allow six birds (chicken or ducks). This gets me excited we consume about three to four dozen eggs a week and plans with quail was just to do a very small part of that. Now I might be able to do it on my own. I still plan to do quail but wI'll either add chickens right away or in the spring.
Wanted to ask a few questions and get what's in my head for a plan out for review. I live in northern alberta and was thinking of building a 4ft x 8ft a-frame tractor with the top insulated and heated of course. From reading I am really leaning towards Ameraucana. The idea of duck eggs real intrigues me as well possibly a four chicken two duck split. From what I've read this would be a tight squeeze all together please correct me if I'm wrong cause would be nice with only one set up. Would one of the above mentioned tractors work for a pair of ducks? I understand it depends on breed, would probably be khaki Campbell or similar breed.
This may have been a long winded post but I believe in giving as much info as I can. And I apologize if it is beyond the scope of what a intro post is supposed to be.

Thank you for having the patience to read all this.
Trevor

Hello all.

So I've read quite a bit over the last couple months on here and just recently signed up. Lately I have been really questioning where my food comes from and what's been done to it. In the the last six months I have built an aquaponics system in my basement(almost ready to start producing) to grow alot of my greens. I also originally looked into backyard chickens but found out they are not allowed as I live in a town that doesn't allow them. While researching chickens I came across quail with there small foot print I figured I'd try them indoors.
I understand bird poop smells but I have a nice little cubby in my basement right by where the dryer used to be. I plan to install a bathroom fan right beside the cages and I also have a air purifier that I plan to set up right there as well. My plan is to keep 14 birds in three cages. Two cages 24x24 will house one male three females each and a third 24x36 will house another six females strictly for eggs. This should give me the ability to raise the occasional batch for meat and the rest of the time produce near a dozen eggs a day. Going to run half jumbo half Texas a&m. As of tonight I've had four hatch and waiting on the rest.
While I've been working on this a lady aproached our city council and challenged the bylaw and the city went for it. If it is not legal yet it will be in the very near future. I have been talking with the lady and they will apparently allow six birds (chicken or ducks). This gets me excited we consume about three to four dozen eggs a week and plans with quail was just to do a very small part of that. Now I might be able to do it on my own. I still plan to do quail but wI'll either add chickens right away or in the spring.
Wanted to ask a few questions and get what's in my head for a plan out for review. I live in northern alberta and was thinking of building a 4ft x 8ft a-frame tractor with the top insulated and heated of course. From reading I am really leaning towards Ameraucana. The idea of duck eggs real intrigues me as well possibly a four chicken two duck split. From what I've read this would be a tight squeeze all together please correct me if I'm wrong cause would be nice with only one set up. Would one of the above mentioned tractors work for a pair of ducks? I understand it depends on breed, would probably be khaki Campbell or similar breed.
This may have been a long winded post but I believe in giving as much info as I can. And I apologize if it is beyond the scope of what a intro post is supposed to be.

Thank you for having the patience to read all this.
Trevor

Glad to here you're interested in living more sustainably! I was also thinking of getting both chickens and ducks but from what I've heard ducks are VERY messy with their water and chickens get sick easier livin g in wet environments. Therefore it might not Be the best idea to have them live together in a confined space. I'm only speaking from having done a lot of research though, not experience, so it may work out fine for you. Anyway, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom