Canadians check in here....

Hi! Wish I could help you out with the quail, I haven't ventured into non-chicken fowl yet. Have you tried searching for local facebook groups perhaps?
I actually did check FB after I posted this. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of it sooner as I check FB for EVERYTHING. And great news, I FOUND someone! She’s even a member here. I stumbled across one of her 2015 posts and made the connection.

I’m going to order my eggs from her as soon as my incubator is sorted. I’ve decided to try to build one.

My line was actually developed here in Alberta following the original steps that Brother ? (Sorry, I don't recall the monk's name) used to establish the breed.
I just got mine about 6 weeks ago. They're about 10 months old. I'm totally in love with them. So inquisitive yet well behaved. I'm hoping to hatch some soon. The batch I have incubating now are all clear :(
View attachment 1312466

Lost my updates for this thread again :rolleyes:
Aaaanyway, did I know you had Chanteclers? I wanted white ones but they weren't available from where I was ordering from. (I got Buff instead)
So I guess I'll need Chantecler and Buckeye eggs from you some day :lol:

I actually did check FB after I posted this. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of it sooner as I check FB for EVERYTHING. And great news, I FOUND someone! She’s even a member here. I stumbled across one of her 2015 posts and made the connection.

I’m going to order my eggs from her as soon as my incubator is sorted. I’ve decided to try to build one.

Ha, awesome!

2gwb921.gif howdy fellow Albertan!

Welcome to an amazing group :)

hey I’m from Alberta, Canada , wondering where people get there chickens from ?
Also specifically looking for silkies.
Thanks !
Hi @tennilleromaniuk
Welcome Smilies!.gif

Where in Alberta are you?
There are a lot of "odd and unusual sales going on right now. There's a pretty big one going on in St. Paul next month ( St. Paul Critter Market). I'm pretty sure you could find silkies at any of those. Kijiji sometimes has them. There are lots of Canadian breeder and egg auction pages on Facebook.
As far as coop building, I've seen open ended hoop coops work here. Silkies do require a bit more protection in the winter, but can still do well. I have 1 silkie. I insulated my coop, but no heat or light, and she made it through fine. She's actually the only one of my bantams that has ventured out in the snow.
Personally, I feel that windows are important given how little light we get in the winter. Just be prepared for several months of no eggs unless you provide artificial light.

Hello from British Columbia!
(Possibly will soon be moving to Newfoundland).

I’m currently on the lookout for Coturnix quail hatching eggs. The one farm in BC that I had my eye on said they aren’t doing them this year. The second BC farm hasn’t replied to my inquiry, and so far my best bet is a farm in Ontario. I’m a bit nervous about having them shipped from so far away.

Anyone have a BC or even Alberta supplier that ships quail eggs? Thanks!
Try checking out Western Canada hatching egg auctions on Facebook.

Lost my updates for this thread again :rolleyes:
Aaaanyway, did I know you had Chanteclers? I wanted white ones but they weren't available from where I was ordering from. (I got Buff instead)
So I guess I'll need Chantecler and Buckeye eggs from you some day :lol:
It's a deal!
I got the chanteclers 2 months ago. I love them.
Not having any luck hatching yet, but now that temperatures are leveling out I'll hopefully be able to let you know how the fertility rates are.

I am from New Brunswick I have chickens.

In addition to chickens I have homing pigeons which is a hobby I enjoy immensely. This is a video done on my granddaughter and I a few years back. She will be graduating next year and plans on a veterinarian career.

Hi @Hokum Coco saying-hi-ya-smiley-emoticon.gif

What a great piece on you and your granddaughter! Is she planning on specializing in birds? There are so few out there.

How many pigeons do you have now? Do you compete with them?

Hi @tennilleromaniuk
View attachment 1333846

Where in Alberta are you?
There are a lot of "odd and unusual sales going on right now. There's a pretty big one going on in St. Paul next month ( St. Paul Critter Market). I'm pretty sure you could find silkies at any of those. Kijiji sometimes has them. There are lots of Canadian breeder and egg auction pages on Facebook.
As far as coop building, I've seen open ended hoop coops work here. Silkies do require a bit more protection in the winter, but can still do well. I have 1 silkie. I insulated my coop, but no heat or light, and she made it through fine. She's actually the only one of my bantams that has ventured out in the snow.
Personally, I feel that windows are important given how little light we get in the winter. Just be prepared for several months of no eggs unless you provide artificial light.
I’m from around Sherwood park , you?? Thank you so much for the reply! That is so helpful, the only place I could find silkies was wildacres.ca and I’d have to get hatching eggs and considering it’s my first time with chickens I’m not so sure I want to start off with hatching eggs haha !
How do I find out about these critter markets, is there a website ?

Again thank you greatly for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom