Canadians check in here....

There's a group on Facebook called Canadian Chantecler Breeders. There is a well reputed breeder named Danielle Seguin at Foxfire Heritage Farms.
There's also a man in Granby named David Campbell.
The lady I bought mine from doesn't have many available. Her name is Kathy Stevenson at Hawthorn Hill Heritage Poultry. I went to a poultry show to establish a connection with her. She had a trio there for auction. After talking to me she sold them to me because she knew that I was serious about trying to preserve the breed.
Most of the serious breeders don't ship hatching eggs or chicks. Farm pickup only. Very rarely they will ship adults. I'm learning very quickly that heritage breeders are a very tight knit group. Everyone knows each other. So, if you get in touch with one breeder they could steer you in the right direction to someone nearby (I recommend Danielle).
Good luck! Keep me posted on what you hear and learn.

David Campbell sounds like the best option for referrence and approach, as he's the closest to where I live. If serious breeders don't sell hatching eggs or chicks, then driving up to meet Danielle all the way in Ontario is my second choice.... provided I don't get lost on the way or back.

Oh, believe me I've also learned quickly that serious breeders are a discreet lot. They're hard to find and those who might know about them, keep their mouths shut three times out of four. I don't know why the breeders of my region act like this, but it just proves that getting quality birds is a challenge. Thankfully BYC is a lifesaver not only for finding fellow chicken lovers but also on how to care for poultry in general and detailed ways, so I'm much more optimistic about my own backyard life now that I'm here and meeting so many wonderful and helpful people <3

I'll check the Canadian Chantecler Breeder Facebook page, but don't count on me for participating at auctions - my lucky streak with those is below zero xD

Sure! You can tag or follow me if you want, my curiosity is enormous and will land me in many different places, as I'm juggling several flock possibilities for the future. Whatever use I may give it, the Chantecler is a definite must in my backyard, so you'll irremediably get info on the breed too ^^

I know Kathy is on the Alberta Chickens Etc. forum although not as active as she used to be. I purchased some of my original Cochins from her.

That forum is quieter than it used to be but you can usually still find the contact information for many breeders. It's not comparable to the Facebook group of the same name.

In that case I might have an easier time navigating the alberta chickens forum thread, as I use my laptop for the job. But still, I will check them both to cover as much ground as possible. Thanks for the wonderful help guys!

Yes it’s not easy on the phone. Mainly it’s just too darn tiny! Hard to read and hard to click on what you actually want too. Easy to have fat fingers LOL Much more computer friendly.

The Facebook group is more active but is just like any other Alberta chicken sales group for the most part. The forum has more breeder involvement I think (and less flooding of knowitalls that Facebook seems to come with!) Plus it’s easier to search for older information/posts on forums. They’re handy that way!

Back
Top Bottom