Canadians check in here....

Yes it does! I'm happy to see a Chantecler lover all the way in Alberta. Do you know what lineage your Chanteclers come from? What do you think of that breed?
My line was actually developed here in Alberta following the original steps that Brother ? (Sorry, I don't recall the monk's name) used to establish the breed.
I just got mine about 6 weeks ago. They're about 10 months old. I'm totally in love with them. So inquisitive yet well behaved. I'm hoping to hatch some soon. The batch I have incubating now are all clear :(
20180218_170502.jpg

My line was actually developed here in Alberta following the original steps that Brother ? (Sorry, I don't recall the monk's name) used to establish the breed.
I just got mine about 6 weeks ago. They're about 10 months old. I'm totally in love with them. So inquisitive yet well behaved. I'm hoping to hatch some soon. The batch I have incubating now are all clear :(
View attachment 1312466

You mean someone in Alberta created Chanteclers from scratch like brother Wilfrid did almost a century ago? o.o Oh my God. If my fellow Quebecans knew of this, they'd be flocking to your door in numbers seeking fresh blood to diversify their own lines! Our Chanteclers desperately need genetic diversity to live on, it's a yearly battle to keep our flocks strong and healthy with diminishing populations and breeders to take care of our patrimonial chicken. I tip my hat to this person who managed to accomplish the feat of creating Chanteclers, he breathed a new hope for the breed!

Take care of your Chanties, Michelle, they are very precious birds. I too plan on getting myself a few Chanteclers, hopefully in the next month or so, and maybe I'll breed them as time goes on. It'll depend on how life goes on with my current flock. But I definitely want a Chantecler in my coop this 2018; I've grown to love the breed as I learned more about chickens on the net. I'm sure I'll be totally head over heels for it once I've got my own chicks x3

Good luck with your incubation! :D

You mean someone in Alberta created Chanteclers from scratch like brother Wilfrid did almost a century ago? o.o Oh my God. If my fellow Quebecans knew of this, they'd be flocking to your door in numbers seeking fresh blood to diversify their own lines! Our Chanteclers desperately need genetic diversity to live on, it's a yearly battle to keep our flocks strong and healthy with diminishing populations and breeders to take care of our patrimonial chicken. I tip my hat to this person who managed to accomplish the feat of creating Chanteclers, he breathed a new hope for the breed!

Take care of your Chanties, Michelle, they are very precious birds. I too plan on getting myself a few Chanteclers, hopefully in the next month or so, and maybe I'll breed them as time goes on. It'll depend on how life goes on with my current flock. But I definitely want a Chantecler in my coop this 2018; I've grown to love the breed as I learned more about chickens on the net. I'm sure I'll be totally head over heels for it once I've got my own chicks x3

Good luck with your incubation! :D
I think the University of Alberta has had a lot to do with Chanteclers in the province. Pretty sure it was them that really pushed ahead on developing the Partridge Chants. Entirely possible the fella in charge focused on whites as well.

I think the University of Alberta has had a lot to do with Chanteclers in the province. Pretty sure it was them that really pushed ahead on developing the Partridge Chants. Entirely possible the fella in charge focused on whites as well.

I don't know much about the partridge chanteclers, but its creator did seem to focus alot on his own breed from what I've heard of him. Something about creating more than one color for l'Albertain chicken?

Last edited:
From what I understand, the Albertan was created shortly after the original chantecler. When the bird was submitted to the APA for registration they renamed it a partridge, as they were so similar.

The woman who created her own line here in Alberta is well connected with a lot of chantecler breeders in North America. I believe there is a lot of new and old blood stock being swapped around.

I hope that you do add chanteclers to your flock @Eelantha . You won't be sorry. They're absolutely wonderful.

From what I understand, the Albertan was created shortly after the original chantecler. When the bird was submitted to the APA for registration they renamed it a partridge, as they were so similar.

The woman who created her own line here in Alberta is well connected with a lot of chantecler breeders in North America. I believe there is a lot of new and old blood stock being swapped around.

I hope that you do add chanteclers to your flock @Eelantha . You won't be sorry. They're absolutely wonderful.

I have every bit of hope that they are as wonderful as everyone claims them to be. The anticipation is giving me shivers, I just can't wait to have those chicks x3

May I ask for this woman's adress/website? I would like to keep her in my notebook for future reference, in case I decide to throw myself into breeding some Chanteclers and want new blood in my chicks. I wonder what her lineage is called... does she have an official name for it? What about the others USA breeders she is connected with - have they named their lines too?

I have every bit of hope that they are as wonderful as everyone claims them to be. The anticipation is giving me shivers, I just can't wait to have those chicks x3

May I ask for this woman's adress/website? I would like to keep her in my notebook for future reference, in case I decide to throw myself into breeding some Chanteclers and want new blood in my chicks. I wonder what her lineage is called... does she have an official name for it? What about the others USA breeders she is connected with - have they named their lines too?
There's a group on Facebook called Canadian Chantecler Breeders. There is a well reputed breeder named Danielle Seguin at Foxfire Heritage Farms.
There's also a man in Granby named David Campbell.
The lady I bought mine from doesn't have many available. Her name is Kathy Stevenson at Hawthorn Hill Heritage Poultry. I went to a poultry show to establish a connection with her. She had a trio there for auction. After talking to me she sold them to me because she knew that I was serious about trying to preserve the breed.
Most of the serious breeders don't ship hatching eggs or chicks. Farm pickup only. Very rarely they will ship adults. I'm learning very quickly that heritage breeders are a very tight knit group. Everyone knows each other. So, if you get in touch with one breeder they could steer you in the right direction to someone nearby (I recommend Danielle).
Good luck! Keep me posted on what you hear and learn.

Back
Top Bottom