Canadians check in here....

Question for my fellow Canucks.

Now that carbaryl is illegal in Canada, what do you use for mites? I've used ivermectin on my gang, but really don't want to worm them too much.

I got a few bales of hemp hurd, which helps somewhat, but I'm not able to get ahold of more until next spring.

Question for my fellow Canucks.

Now that carbaryl is illegal in Canada, what do you use for mites? I've used ivermectin on my gang, but really don't want to worm them too much.

I got a few bales of hemp hurd, which helps somewhat, but I'm not able to get ahold of more until next spring.
I only use DE in dustbath and stall dry in coop. Mine have never had mites. Never dusted my hens with anything.

I think that they'll love having new friends. It may take a few days for them to get used to each other, there may be some fights & some pulled feathers, but in the long run they'll probably be happier. Are they borh male? If so, you'd probably need to add at least 10 girls, or put them in separate coops. As soon as the opposite sex gets introduced even the best of friends will fight each other.
No Elvis & Presley are both girls. Our friends 9 yr old daughter is a huge Elvis fan & is the one naming them. When we get the next 4 - they will be named Lisa, Marie, Priscila & Grace (for Graceland).

I only use DE in dustbath and stall dry in coop. Mine have never had mites. Never dusted my hens with anything.

I had a problem with mites earlier this summer - cleaned out the coop & blasted it with a power washer first with dawn soap then plain water to rinse. Once everything dried, put down DE then bedding then more De - covered the roosting bar & nesting boxes. Dusted the girls with DE under the wings and around their vents. Added De to their dust bath that had dirt, sand & wood ash Each week added fresh DE - took about 3 weeks but mites are gone, I've checked the girls regularly and haven't seen mites on them in weeks.
I read somewhere that adding garlic powder to their food weekly helps keep natsies under cotrol. Recently on one of the chicken groups someone said they added 1 mashed garlic clove to one pint of warm water and never have problems with mites or lice. It's been a week since I put garlic in their food so will be switching to garlic water tomorrow.

I had a problem with mites earlier this summer - cleaned out the coop & blasted it with a power washer first with dawn soap then plain water to rinse. Once everything dried, put down DE then bedding then more De - covered the roosting bar & nesting boxes. Dusted the girls with DE under the wings and around their vents. Added De to their dust bath that had dirt, sand & wood ash Each week added fresh DE - took about 3 weeks but mites are gone, I've checked the girls regularly and haven't seen mites on them in weeks.
I read somewhere that adding garlic powder to their food weekly helps keep natsies under cotrol. Recently on one of the chicken groups someone said they added 1 mashed garlic clove to one pint of warm water and never have problems with mites or lice. It's been a week since I put garlic in their food so will be switching to garlic water tomorrow.
I have done the garlic powder in food and in water too!

Just dropped in to check this thread out. I have referred Canadians here often . Now I know it is a very good place to send them. Will have to come back again to learn more about getting chickens through winter weather. Keep up the good work.
Hey DD!
Thanks steering folks our way. Always love meeting fellow Canucks.

insulation and make sure you do your chicken math!!
Thank you! Yes my coop is insulated, my main coop is 60 square feet and i have a dividing wall for a back up coop which is 30 square feet. My fenced in run area is 328 square feet with 126 square feet covered for the winter. I have 12 chickens. It really is exciting seeing it all come together!

Back
Top Bottom