Canadians check in here....

Any special accommodations for your flock in the winter? Wondering what your winters are like?
Water is already freezing in my coop. I am going get the bird bath heater out after Thanksgiving in put it in a bucket for them. It works great in a coop. I heat my coop as well. I hate getting frozen eggs! :thumbsup

IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG

Any special accommodations for your flock in the winter? Wondering what your winters are like?
This is our first winter with our chickens, we have a insulated coop and a portable heater if needed.
We usually get lots and lots of snow, our temps average in the -30C but drop to -40 to -50C with the windchill.

This is our first winter with our chickens, we have a insulated coop and a portable heater if needed.
We usually get lots and lots of snow, our temps average in the -30C but drop to -40 to -50C with the windchill.
Wow that is cold! Personally, now, I never let the temp in my coop go below -20 inside. I had two combs freeze in my first year and won't let that happen again. I use an outdoor digital thermometer in the coop so so can see the temp from my house. :frowWhere are you located?

I run heat after -5C here. I have Bantams.
That's great! I would hate to find those little babies with frozen combs or feet. What are your bantams? I find it difficult with all the USA articles and magazines saying don't heat your coop. They really have no idea how cold it's gets in some parts of this country. :love:clapMine come out if they want to in the winter, but if super cold , I shut them in.

Where are you located? I'm west of Edmonton and can definitely relate to those cold temperatures..:barnie

That's great! I would hate to find those little babies with frozen combs or feet. What are your bantams? I find it difficult with all the USA articles and magazines saying don't heat your coop. They really have no idea how cold it's gets in some parts of this country. :love:clapMine come out if they want to in the winter, but if super cold , I shut them in.
Definitely when it's cold I don't open my pop door. My Coop is fully insulted with vents. Even floor is insulted too.
I run heat lamps. I have two this year. One over water dish and other over Roost.
Americans have no idea how cold COLD really is...:gig

Back
Top Bottom